Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
spin on oil filter conversion
I've heard about the conversion/adaptors available to use a spin oil filter instead of the canister type but never used one. Any experiance with them and where do you find them?
#1 08-08-2010, 04:37 AM,
You can get it here:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.randakks.com/">http://www.randakks.com/</a><!-- m -->

But apparently he's on Vacation.

I do not have the spin-on but have been thinking about it...
#2 08-08-2010, 04:52 AM,
I have the adapter and love it. you can get a number of filters from any parts store (Wallyworld). I got my adapter from Bob Haggerman, the guy who makes them and he will also ship them. Bob will also be at the SIG meet in Baltimore Ontario and usually brings some adapters with him.
<!-- e --><a href="mailto:hedgetrimmer@tlgroup.ca">hedgetrimmer@tlgroup.ca</a><!-- e -->
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#3 08-08-2010, 06:29 AM,
I did my first gl1200 oil change (without the spin on kit) a few days ago and it was easier than my shadow. I don't see the appeal to spend $50 when the paper filters seem to be readily available and you don't even need a filter wrench.
#4 08-08-2010, 06:31 AM,
Yeah, I've not had much issue changing oil either. I think the benefit is that the newer spin ons have a bypass valve and hold oil in the engine rather than letting it all seep back into the crankcase...BUT I'm not Oil Filter expert this is just what I've read???
#5 08-08-2010, 11:03 AM,
The spin-on oil filter adapter is great! :YMAPPLAUSE: What can be easier and faster than changing a spin-on oil filter?

'Bought mine -- aluminum -- on eBay 1-1/2 years ago from Canada (maybe from Bob Hagerman) plus the chrome "racing" filters. The adapter MUST be tightened very securely or else the whole assembly unscrews when changing filters.

Some 'Wingers worry about the exposed spin-on filter getting punctured on the road by a kicked up rock. But I've never read about that ever happening. I'd guess a similar thing could happen with the OEM filter cover.

I found what may be another outlet for the adapters in Canada but the address goes back to 2005:

The supplier's name is Gilbert Courtemanche and his email address is
<!-- e --><a href="mailto:ccourtem@shaw.ca">ccourtem@shaw.ca</a><!-- e -->
He used to sell the conversion kit for $42 plus shipping.

In fact, Scotty P of Grafton, Ontario posted a design by Gilbert Courtemanche for a receiver hitch right HERE in 2008, so maybe Gilbert istill in operation.

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=3525">viewtopic.php?f=77&t=3525</a><!-- l -->
[Image: Akriti2450x338.jpg]

" ... If you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." ~ George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
#6 08-08-2010, 12:19 PM,
two about two weeks to east coast,just bought my third one
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300446378291&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... MEWNX%3AIT</a><!-- m -->

for the best filtering it takes a Wix # 51085 or Napa # 1085 filter but if you change oil often you can use the napa # 21085 and save some money
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#7 08-08-2010, 04:56 PM,
I got the adapter because the P/O had cross threaded the oil filter bolt and made it hard to start the bolt properly when I changed the filter. I put the adapter on and it works great, it can't get any easier. I use a High flow chrome HF170C filter and it looks and works good. I wouldn't want to be without the adapter now, I don't have to worry about the O-Ring or cleaning the canister it just spin off and spin on.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#8 08-09-2010, 04:41 AM,
Put one on an love it. I never messed with the paper filter simply because I don't know that that technology has kept up with the screw-ons. The other appeal to it for me was the option to chose one of many filters so that, should one be out of stock I don't have to drive all over town looking for one.
#9 08-09-2010, 03:22 PM,
I bought one from Randakk and I like it.

Both the original filtering system and spin-on filters have a bypass valve.

The spin-on filter has an anti-drainback valve to keep the filter full by not allowing the oil to drain back into the crankcase.

With the long life of the 1200s with the original filtering system I'm not so sure that the anti-drainback valve is all that important.

So I guess I like it most for the ease of a spin on filter and versatility of choosing filters. I use the WalMart Supertech Oil Filters. I change oil every 3000 mi.

I ain't go'n no further. 8^) :lol:
#10 08-10-2010, 10:30 AM,
Curious :?: about the actual advantages aside from convenience of the spin-on vs stock filter, I looked it up.

One opinion is that: "The benefit:unique to this [Bergmen] adaptor, it allows the pre-filling of the oil filter with the motor oil of choice prior to installation. This greatly reduces the oil pressure build-up lag inherent in the stock (or standard) oil filter apparatus at start-up immediately following an oil/filter change."

A cross-section comparison of the spin-on and stock filter follows.

[attachment=0]

Attached Files
.jpg   Spin v stock filter.jpg (Size: 118.07 KB / Downloads: 570)

" ... If you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." ~ George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
#11 08-10-2010, 02:25 PM,
When doing an oil and filter change on my bike I always turn the kill switch to off then crank the engine until the oil light goes out after installing the new oil then I know the system is fully primed before I start the bike.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#12 08-10-2010, 06:30 PM,
admin Wrote:When doing an oil and filter change on my bike I always turn the kill switch to off then crank the engine until the oil light goes out after installing the new oil then I know the system is fully primed before I start the bike.

That's an excellent approach, Vic.

How much harm can it do to an engine to simply fire up the engine after an oil & filter change without first filling the new filter? So far as I can recall, the GL1200 owner's manual doesn't mention it in the maintenance section. Reason I ask, first time I put in an adapter and spin-on filter and filled the crankcase with fresh oil -- not that long ago -- I neglected to first make sure the filter was filled with oil. Confusedhock:

#13 08-10-2010, 10:12 PM,
Unless you're using a very high quality oil which prevents metal to metal shearing a dry start can do some real damage by tearing off bearing babbit, cam lobe material and cylinder wall metal. Not a big deal for one time situation but do it a few thousand times and you'll end up with a quite a worn engine.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#14 08-11-2010, 05:24 AM,
admin Wrote:Unless you're using a very high quality oil which prevents metal to metal shearing a dry start can do some real damage by tearing off bearing babbit, cam lobe material and cylinder wall metal. Not a big deal for one time situation but do it a few thousand times and you'll end up with a quite a worn engine.

I, too, do what you do, Vic, to what I call, "prime the filter" after an oil change. (My 1500 won't do that.) I learned about doing that from this message board a couple of years ago when I was doing my 1st oil change on my 1200. Thanks!

I've always been told that most engine wear occurs at star-up. Some oils do a better job at start-up than others. So, IF, engine wear occurs at start-up with a primed oil system...(which the oil light seems to go out instantly at start-up)...the few seconds it takes for the light to go out after an oil change seems forever.

As an ole farm boy we would fire up our equipment and let it idle until they got warm before we would put a load on 'em.

I just cringe when some people race their engines as soon as they fired them up! ...not just motorcycles...cars...tractors...

ok, I'll shut-up now.
#15 08-11-2010, 08:53 AM,