Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
engine swap-no fire (cdi specs)
scott74 Wrote:i pluged in my 84 pg's and turned over the engine while flipping a metal object pass the pg's i have spark
That would seem to rule out a fried CDI. :d
Looking through the parts lists for the LTD and Aspencade suggests that the ignition systems are so different that it may never work with the LTD pulse generators.

Perhaps it's time for a little research to see if you can install a pair of Aspencade pulse generators.
#16 04-24-2010, 09:53 AM,
The LTD pulse generators are in fact quite different than the ones on the Aspencade/Interstate. It's been years since I had my LTD engine but I seem to recall that the LTD has one sensor inside the timing cover which determined top dead center and the spark triggering was performed by the 2 sensors located on the camshaft on the rear of the right cylinder head. In fact just about everything is different on the LTD/SEi ignition system except for the coils and plug wires.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#17 04-24-2010, 11:34 AM,
K Bergen Wrote:
scott74 Wrote:i pluged in my 84 pg's and turned over the engine while flipping a metal object pass the pg's i have spark
That would seem to rule out a fried CDI. :d
Looking through the parts lists for the LTD and Aspencade suggests that the ignition systems are so different that it may never work with the LTD pulse generators.

Perhaps it's time for a little research to see if you can install a pair of Aspencade pulse generators.
the bolt holes are in the front cover i ordered a set of pg,s for a 86 a and the ring on the crank also for the 86 a now all i need to find a cdi for a 85 or 86 a or i it seems that the cdi and the pg's must match
#18 04-24-2010, 08:48 PM,
[quote=I changed a SEI to carbs in the 90s, customer took it to every Honda dealer in Western Canada.no one could get it to run. so I removed all the computorized crap and put on a single carb setup that I made from scratch.had to put a fuel pressure regulator in it, but it ran fine.
so not sure what you all did?[/quote]

Hello there young man!
I'm rather new on this forum so I have not delved too deep into all old posts, but I'd like to hear more about that single carb conversion of yours. It is so much easier to keep 1 carb in sync than 4!
#19 06-13-2010, 08:59 AM,
It's a lot harder to make a single carb run properly on a GL1200 than it is to run 4 carbs. Typically single carbs deliver less fuel economy and top end performance suffers terribly.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#20 06-13-2010, 11:06 AM,