Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
When changing your own oil and filter.......................
One of my Poor Boys conversion customers brought me his wing the other day.
He had ridden it 5k miles since I did his conversion.

His complaint? Oil leaking from the timing cover drain.

So I removed his side cover, then the left timing cover. Sure as can be it was leaking from the cam shaft seals............................... #-O

So I call him back on the phone, here's the conversation.

Me: Have you by any chance changed oil to a synthetic blend?

Customer: No I always use the Honda fluids "only". (of which I highly approve)

Me: Wait a minute, who changes your oil and filter.

Customer: Me

Me: Just how long has it been since someone else has changed your oil?

Customer: about 2.5 years

(Now at this point in the conversation im chuckling because I know this guys rides in all weather including lots of rain)

Me: Well sir, I just saved you alot of money. Because if you took this anywhere else besides Honda of Norfolk you would have been ripped off by a serious amount of coin.

Customer: How so?

Me: Well you dont do your oil changes correctly by the service manual or the owners manual.......

Anybody confused yet??? :YMBRINGITON:

Bottom line, if you change your own oil and you dont empty/clean your crankcase breather capture tank next to your side stand.................
Well just stand by to loose money.
To many wrenchs out there in todays world dont know about those and when full of rain condensate and oil mixtures it will fill the entire breather system up with crap.
Then your excess crank case pressure will start to vent out of your seals anywhere it can and leak a little oil right along with it......................... \:d/
Harry Waggoner
GL1200A "Animal"

GWRRA VA-B
More ROCKIN and less Talkin!
#1 03-09-2010, 12:31 PM,
Good one.

When I did my first oil change on my bike.
I was plugged full of water.
Now it is checked often.
Douce
#2 03-09-2010, 05:35 PM,
Servicing the capture tank is a regular part of an oil change since the first one I did right after acquiring the 'Wing. The tank was about 80 per cent full of a viscous liquid!
Ian
Remember, it's the journey, not the destination, that matters.
#3 03-09-2010, 07:28 PM,
I never knew about this.... Not quite sure where to look but appreciate the post and heads up.
#4 03-10-2010, 10:39 AM,
somebody send us dummies(ie me) a pics so i can check it out
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#5 03-10-2010, 12:02 PM,
Tropicalsuns Wrote:I never knew about this.... Not quite sure where to look but appreciate the post and heads up.
It's that little black plastic tank by the heel of your left foot.
I've never found water in mine but I do find that the hoses and separator have to be cleaned as they fill with a white gummy mixture of oil and water.
#6 03-10-2010, 12:05 PM,
ok thanks :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :-W :-W :-W ^Smile^ ^Smile^ ^Smile^
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#7 03-10-2010, 12:07 PM,
neoracer, that's where it is on the 84 Interstate, other years/models maybe different.
If you don't find it there just follow the hose from your air cleaner to the top of the separator tank then the bottom hose from it to the the holding tank.
#8 03-10-2010, 12:21 PM,
it's # 18 on the attached pdf, have seen it just never realized its duty or need to check[attachment=0]

[Image: th_breathertank.jpg] click to enlarge

Attached Files
.pdf   breather tank.pdf (Size: 23.06 KB / Downloads: 111)
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#9 03-10-2010, 12:41 PM,
Good Stuff -speakin of dummies I couldn't even get my speaker covers off until I got a tip from neoracer that solved the problem- so after reading about this holding tank I was out the door faster than you can say bob's your uncle and into the garage to check mine out. Got it apart in two shakes and to my surprise it was empty --phew-- then I turned it upside down and there was a 1/8 inch hole drilled into the bottom -thus no watery gunk . Is this a good thing or a bad thing ???? :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY:

Bob
#10 03-22-2010, 05:37 PM,
Now that would depend on whether you adhere to the local ordnance as regards to pollution Smile
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#11 03-22-2010, 05:59 PM,
It's your call unkelbob but think about what the system was built to do.
It creates a vacuum in the crankcase to draw off blow by gases and any condensation, the condensation is what collects in that tank plus the vacuum helps prevent BSA type oil leaks. That one tiny hole disables the whole system and I for one wouldn't be comfortable drilling a hole in the top of my air cleaner and leading a hose down into the dirt/dust kicked up by the front wheel. Confusedhock:
#12 03-22-2010, 07:26 PM,
Just curious as I was working on the bike the other day and after changing the oil this thread came to mind and I did not take off the side panels and floor boards to get to this resevoir as I live in the desert with less than 10% humidity and decided there would be no condenstation in this enviroment.....

Safe bet???
#13 03-22-2010, 08:21 PM,
Tropicalsuns Wrote:Just curious as I was working on the bike the other day and after changing the oil this thread came to mind and I did not take off the side panels and floor boards to get to this resevoir as I live in the desert with less than 10% humidity and decided there would be no condenstation in this enviroment.....

Safe bet???
You never ever get dew in the morning?
And your right, with foot boards it is a bitch but you could take the hose off and use a piece of straw as a dipstick just to be sure and even in a dry climate oil in the blow by can drop out and slowly fill the tank but that would take a long time.
#14 03-22-2010, 08:41 PM,
just checked mine for the first time,when i got it off i thought is emtpy until i turned it upside down and water..water came running out..alot needless to say tks for the post,now maybe that persistent leak i cant find will quit

nope slowed it down some though,after pulling the floorboards and shifter off found that nasty shifter seal was the main culprit
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#15 03-22-2010, 08:43 PM,