Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.8 Average
Idle air screw head stripped off
I have a 1984 Aspencade that I just recently purchased. This bike has been ridden very infrequently over the last several years and as a result needed to have the carbs taken down and cleaned. Unfortunately, one of the idle air screws was tightened down all the way and frozen in place ( which also explains why the bike was running better of the choke was slightly on all the time). The end result was that the head of the screw is completely stripped off.

Does any one have any solution or ideas on how to remove it?

Thanks
#1 11-24-2009, 07:38 PM,
Other than soaking the screw with a good penatrant type spray lube like PB Blaster and possibly trying a drill bit with a left twist to drill a small hole for an EZ out I don't know.
But this will bump you back to the top so more experianced members with Carb's can see your request!

Welcome to the Site!!
1985 Limited Edition
#2 11-25-2009, 05:10 AM,
Thanks for the replies. I did try to use a screw extractor, unfortunately all that managed to do was cut out more of the screw because it is soft brass material.
#3 11-28-2009, 09:33 AM,
You could try heat as the aluminum will expand more than the brass and if at first you don't succeed try and try again as repeated heating and cooling may loosen it.

Ken
#4 11-28-2009, 03:00 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Broken idle mixture screw Rrider 2 1,384 05-21-2012, 11:04 PM
Last Post: spongebob