Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.6 Average
Vacuum line configuration '84 Aspy
Pulled and cleaned my carbs yesterday. Slow jets were clogged on #1 & #4. Cleaned the entire assembly and reinstalled it. Now she does not want to fire up. I can splash a little gas into the airbox with the filter removed and she will fire up and run for a few seconds. So I know I'm getting spark.

I'm wondering if I have a vacuum line loose, cracked, or connected improperly. The vacuum line that runs from the CDI box is where I have an issue. I've been told that this line connects to the #4 downspout, and then I've been told that it should be connected to the air cutoff valve.

The Clymer manual has a diagram, but from looking at it I cannot tell where that particular line from the CDI goes. That diagram is on Page 158 of the Clymer manual.

In the meantime, I'm going to pull the carbs again to recheck the vacuum lines. Any assistance, advice, or guidance will be appreciated.

Thanks!
#1 06-04-2009, 01:12 PM,
Did you turn the gas valve on? Is there gas in the tank? Is the filter plugged? Is the fuel pump pumping gas? Is there gas in the floatbowls? A vacuum leak won't stop it from starting but a lack of fuel flow will.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#2 06-04-2009, 05:06 PM,
Good flow from petcock to fuel pump. I tested the pump by using a jumper wire at the relay and the pump runs fine. When I back off the pilot screws at the bottom of each float bowl I'm getting gas.

Changed out all the fuel lines today. Some of the old ones had cracks where they connect up to the fuel inlet at the carbs. Also, pulled the carbs again to recheck the vacuum configuration and it matches the image posted on Randakk's web site.

Gonna take the evening off, cook some burgers on the grill, charge the battery, then bolt the carbs back on tomorrow and try again.

If anyone has any other ideas please let me know. I will be grateful

Thanks!
#3 06-04-2009, 06:17 PM,
Is the choke working properly? All 1200's are cold blooded and need lots of choke for cold starts. Try placing a large towel over the plenum opening, by doing so you'll be richening the mixture and forcing the fuel to flow. If it doesn't fire up with the towel blocking off the intake opening then all the jets must be plugged tight but I have a suspicion that maybe it's just the cold start circuit that has a problem.

#4 06-04-2009, 07:43 PM,
I did not mess with the choke other than to disconnect it to remove the carb assembly. I am clearly getting fuel flow because the float bowls are full of gas. I have spark since she will fire with gas splashed into the airbox. I'm wondering if the integrity of the fuel in the tank could be an issue. I installed all new fuel lines while I had the carbs off.

I siphoned the gas out and dried the inside of the tank with the shop vac. It looks pretty bad, Rusty and the liner is peeling away from the tank walls. In otherwords, I'll be pulling the gas tank off today & come Monday the tank goes to the radiator shop. While waiting for the tank I'll be pulling the carbs again.

If anyone else has any troubleshooting ideas please let me know. I'm pretty Goldwing stupid so this forum is a goldmine of advice and guidance for me.

Thanks!
#5 06-06-2009, 08:09 AM,
It's very difficult to know what you did to the carbs without being there. Just because there is gas in the float bowl don't assume that the gas is running through the carbs. Did you try to fire it with a towel blocking the hole in the plenum? I have used used this method succesfully to get GL1200 engines running when nothing else worked. It is quite possible that the jets may be plugged tight with the rust from the tank and by blocking the airflow with the towel you are increasing the pull on the fuel and if you're lucky you might even be able to clear the blockage with the towel. If the engine starts just manipulate the towel like a choke to keep the engine running.

#6 06-06-2009, 08:21 AM,
The only thing I did to the carbs was clean them. Removed the float bowls, clean the jets, and get all the gunk out of them. The jets were clogged with the mess from the fuel tank and cleaned them out good with carb cleaner. Now that I have the fuel out of the tank, and owing to its condition, I'm going to pull that tank and get it reconditioned. While I'm waiting for that, I'll pull the carbs again and go back over everything I did previously.

I'll use an external fuel source and try firing her up with a towel over the plenum hole.

Thanks Vic!
#7 06-06-2009, 08:59 AM,
That's a bummer about the tank. Keeping them full of gas prevents that most times.

Looking forward to hearing that you got it running.

#8 06-06-2009, 01:57 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vacuum line availability Brewers Whoop 6 4,084 06-01-2014, 06:34 PM
Last Post: old gold
  #3 carb losing vacuum on 84 aspy 1200 hvac994 7 2,512 02-29-2012, 04:37 PM
Last Post: bs175dths