Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Fuel consumption???
I have a gl1200 interstate trike with fuel consumption of between 20 amd 22 mpg maximum, here's what i've done so far.
Carbs are well balanced, plugs are clean as is the air filter, new oil filter and oil, tick over rev's at 900, clean exhaust, a little smokey when started up but it is a 22 year old engine.
I've used a Reliant Regal axle with 15 inch wheels and tyres with an outside diameter of 26 inch so I'm near to the original tyre size of the wing.
It drives well, not sluggish in high gears and with good all round acceleration, doesn't burn oil or over heat but what else could it be, I had a gl1100 wing trike before this one that didn't run any where near as well, but gave me 35mpg if not sometimes better.
Help required as I'm running out of money to buy fuel.
#1 02-24-2009, 11:41 AM,
It sounds like it may be time to open up the carbs and inspecting them... Possibly you have a bad float needle and seat (or even possibly all of them)... If you do decide to open up the carbs then I highly recommend Randakks rebuild kit... Do once, do it right, do it with good quality parts, and you'll not likely need to repeat the process again...

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.randakks.com/Carb%20Parts.htm#9B">http://www.randakks.com/Carb%20Parts.htm#9B</a><!-- m -->

I also recommend you read up his tech tips on the rebuilding and/or get the book (below)...

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.randakks.com/GL1200%20GoldWing%20Carburetor%20Repair%20Manual.htm">http://www.randakks.com/GL1200%20GoldWi ... Manual.htm</a><!-- m -->

If you take the time to learn how it's done correctly and also take the time to do it correctly, you'll likely be amazed at the difference in the engine performance as well as mileage improvement...
My Apsy never had so much low RPM grunt the entire time I owned it... After the carb rebuild and sync'ing it pulls really well at the low RPM range...
Ed Zogg
#2 02-24-2009, 12:18 PM,
Do you know what gear ratio you have in the rear end ? It could be lower than the bikes original final drive.

Poorboy
#3 02-24-2009, 04:07 PM,
If you don't know the gear ratio, then at least do you have the RPMs it runs at while at highway speeds.?? That way we could at least give a comparison to the original ratio (RPMs relative to MPH)... Also can you confirm that nothing is dragging (i.e. brakes, etc)... Can you push the trike with relative ease on level ground... Have you tried a dose of Seafoam in the tank.???

All in all, from what your first post states, I'd be inclined to think it's a float level issue... I'll bet it's either a float level that's set wrong or a needle and seat that's leaking... Getting the float setting just right can be a bit tricky and does take much patients to get right... I have to use a jewelers magnifying headset in order to clearly see to get mine set correctly... It's super easy for the little spring in the float needle to start compressing while you are taking the measurements...
Ed Zogg
#4 02-25-2009, 10:32 AM,
At 60mph my rev's are 3,200, this is constant and on the level, I can't remember the diff ratio but i'm sure it was about 2.8:1.
This is a Reliant Rialto diff, and not a Regal as I firstly said, this is a common trike conversion diff for lots of trikes in the UK. I don't have any drag, I can push it out of the garage with one hand and very little pressure, no brake binding issues.
#5 03-02-2009, 07:44 AM,
It sounds like it's a carb issue then.... One other simple test you can do is to look at the right hand side carb while you operate the choke... You should be able to see a little lever moving... Watch the direction this lever moves while you turn off the choke... Now with your hand try to twist this lever in that same direction to see if you can move it further... This way you can check to see if the choke is not being turned completely off... If so then it may be time to replace and adjust the choke cable... If the lever does not move by hand any further in the off direction, then it is likely time to remove the carbs and check the float needle and seats... If you do need to replace any of them, do go with good quality needles as you will likely run into much trouble using the cheap ones... Unfortunately the good ones are on the expensive side (around $40 each)... I use a magnifying glass for inspection of the needles and replace them if any signs of wear or damage are present...
Ed Zogg
#6 03-02-2009, 08:29 AM,
Found the problem, the choke cable was split and sticking slightly on, I stripped the carbs down and cleaned them at the same time as replacing the cable, 33 mpg now, very happy!!!!
Thanks for all the advice,

Pablo.
#7 04-06-2009, 12:35 PM,
Nothing warms the heart like yet another success story... Glad to hear it was nothing real major...
Ed Zogg
#8 04-06-2009, 10:49 PM,
nice call Ed....
#9 04-07-2009, 05:58 AM,