Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Conversion fit issues???
:?: I have the poorboy conversion kit, ordered a new Nippo alternator that Tricky put me on to. ready to install.

Cut off brackets, trim out timing covers, remove bolts replace with new, install everything. Nothing lines up.

So I start at the source. First issue the crank pulley is tight against the timing cover. Got this sovled by making a new (thicker) adapter spacer.

Next issue; adjusting/reinforcing bracket; does not naturally reach the upper adjusting bracket without the lower bracket being raised on an angle.
Added spacers to cylindrical bracket to align pulleys. Now the belt adjusting bracket is even more out of align, not a big issue to cut off bracket, relocate and have welded.

This is when I notice the choke will no work on the front carb as the alt is too close for proper operation. This is because bottom bracket is too short and on an angle so as to reach the top adjusting bracket.
Simple make a new (longer and higher) lower bracket.

This is where I have stopped the install. Time to work on other areas of the bike and do more analizing of the install.

Guys, is it me or are others runing into similar issues???? Sad Sad Sad Sad
Howard & Sharon Sims-GWRRA#259911
EX 1986 Aspencade
EX 2002 GL-1800

[Image: VisitedProvincesMap-copy.jpg][Image: VisitedStatesMap.jpg]
#1 03-25-2007, 11:09 AM,
I made all the parts, there was a lot of taking off and putting on until I had it right, the choke was the part that I was concerned about also. I did finally get it. I had the crankshaft bushing made to allow a 025 clearance of the pulley. I made my own upper bracket to fit. I also purchased a longer crankshaft bolt and cut it the same length of the original plus the bushing.
Also the inner plastic cover I didnt like what was left of the lower part that holds the speed nut so I removed it and made a metal bracket and screwed it to the flat part of the plastic. After I had butchered the plastic I didn't think it would have lasted very long

[Image: DSC00093.JPG]

[Image: DSC00094.JPG]

Also I had to use a heat gun on the outer fairing to allow room for the alternator.

Wasnt as simple a job as was made out to be but then I thought it was because I made all the brackets and parts.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 03-25-2007, 01:56 PM,
I did several alterations for my setup. Email me and i'll shoot you the whole install setup. <!-- e --><a href="mailto:bill@billfarrar.com">bill@billfarrar.com</a><!-- e -->
#3 03-25-2007, 07:00 PM,
How much thicker did the spacer need to be? The lower bracket is suppose to be up some. If you make the lower bracket longer so it is flat the alternator won't fit behind the fairing lower.

Poorboy
#4 03-25-2007, 08:02 PM,
Tricky, I made all the brackets and spacers for my alternator but I didn't have near the clearance problems you did. In fact I didn't even move the radiator out, instead I moved the fan up for clearance. (Much work.) You must have used a different alternator.

One thing I did do was to preload the belt tension, meaning that I must loosen the alternator and slip the belt on while the alternator is loose and then the belt would tighten somewhat while I tightened the mounting bolts. This saved swinging the alternator outward to tighten the belt which gave a lot more side clearance.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#5 03-26-2007, 07:44 AM,
ATTENTION!!!!!!!!! ANY ONE THAT HAS BOUGHT AN ALTERNATOR KIT FROM ME IN THE LAST COUPLE OF MONTHS!!!!!! THE CRANK BOLT IN THE KIT HAS THE WRONG THREAD PITCH!!!!!!!!

Poorboy
#6 03-26-2007, 12:47 PM,
Don, do you want me to post your message as a sticky at the top of this section?
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#7 03-26-2007, 03:57 PM,
The spacer I had made is 0.50" (as compared to .42"). This gives ample clearance without being too much and is more in line with the alt pulley when mounted with the kit.

I understand the bracket needs to be tilted upward; however my right front carb choke mechanism hits the alt. If the bracket is horizontal it just clears.

I am taking my time to carefully assess the entire issue before making any final decisions. Idea
Howard & Sharon Sims-GWRRA#259911
EX 1986 Aspencade
EX 2002 GL-1800

[Image: VisitedProvincesMap-copy.jpg][Image: VisitedStatesMap.jpg]
#8 03-26-2007, 06:06 PM,
Vic,
Yes, that would be good.

Tricky,
To keep the alternator in tight you have to do some trimming around the choke.

Poorboy
#9 03-26-2007, 07:02 PM,
It's not in my pdf file, but I actually reworked the lowers to get more room. I picked up a couple of sheets of ABS, cut the side out of the lower and fabricated a new one. I now have about 1/4" clearance around the alternator.
#10 03-27-2007, 01:35 PM,
HI ALL :
GOT LUCKY TODAY FOUND THE NIPPONDENSO ALTERNATORTHE LITTLE ONE SPECIFICALLY FOR 98GEO METRO IN WRECKING YARD 10 MILES NORTHOFME 27.00 GUARANTEED TO WORK ORCAN RETURN IT. HAD 3 UP THERE THE OTHER TWO WERE A LITTLE BIT LARGER IN CASE DESIGN
QUESTION TO SUNDANCE>> WHERE DID YOU GET SHEETS OF ABS?? CANT SEEM TO LOCATE IN OKLAHOMA, EVERYBODY GIVES STRANGE LOOK AT ME WOULD LIKE TO PURCHASE A COUPLE OF SHEETS 12'"X12", INFO WOULD BE APRRECIATED.
MIKE BURNS AKA WINDWALKER
MOUNTAIN PARK, OK
1984 ASPY RIDE ON OF THE CLASSICS, IT IS MY MAIN HOBBY. WOULDNT OWN ANY THING BUT A WING, ALL OTHERS I CONSIDER TO NOT REALLY BE BIKES!!
#11 03-27-2007, 03:57 PM,
Check the yellow pages for "Plastics." Most of them carry ABS. I found it locally but I also did a Google for ABS Plastic and found several suppliers that sell it by the sheet small and large sizes. A 12"x12" sheet as I recall was less than 10 bucks.
#12 03-27-2007, 07:02 PM,
I just did a quick search and found a 10 sheet lot on the dreaded auction site. the current bid was about $7.
#13 03-27-2007, 07:08 PM,
HI SUNDANCE AND MANY THKS FOR INFO APPARENTLY IN OKLAHOMA THEY DONT KNOW ANY THING BUT PVC YA KNOW PVC FURNITUE PVC COUNTER TOPS !! ONCE AGAIN THKS : MIKE
MIKE BURNS AKA WINDWALKER
MOUNTAIN PARK, OK
1984 ASPY RIDE ON OF THE CLASSICS, IT IS MY MAIN HOBBY. WOULDNT OWN ANY THING BUT A WING, ALL OTHERS I CONSIDER TO NOT REALLY BE BIKES!!
#14 03-27-2007, 07:11 PM,
All this cutting,welding, and fabricating on a near mint 86 interstate with 18k thats never really had a bolt taken off of it just seems like a lot of work. when my stator goes out I'll pay one of you experts say $500 to do it for me. I thought it was a more straight-forward job, but it sounds like very bike has it's differences and has to be customized to work. whats the deal? Les
#15 03-28-2007, 12:54 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  charging system issues/ stator issues 9 3,963 12-07-2010, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Guest
  alternator conversion issues cj7george 7 2,837 01-25-2009, 03:14 PM
Last Post: silverfoxwing