Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Is plug permanent repair?
I watched a demo of the stop-and-go plug, there is no way that plug will ever come out.

I downloaded the video to my Smartphone, at least I can watch how it's done if I ever need it. 8)
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#16 01-15-2012, 08:24 AM,
Personally, I would consider a plug in my bike tire as an emergency repair only and would start looking for a deal on a new tire right away, but, if bucks are tight and the plug is located in the section of the tire that touches the road, (never in the sidewall or near that area) then I would permit up to 2 plugs only but these plugs must also be properly patched from the inside of the tire (never, ever use a tube on a GL1200 tire, heat buildup is dangerous) and I would seriously consider never going past 50 mph with a plugged tire on a bike, but, again, I would suggest a new replacement tire because, on the side of the road, it's hard to plug the bloody leaks in your body if the tire pops and throws you off your bike at speed.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#17 01-15-2012, 06:00 PM,
I've plugged car tires for 40 years with no problems so I figured I would try one in a fairly new bike tire years ago. It worked fine. I've since plugged several with no problems. My last was a rear E-III with only 15 miles on it. I changed that tire out 23,000 miles later. -IF- a plug should ever pop out,would it be any worse than running over what ever put the hole there in the first place? Did you die before you plugged the tire? Opinions vs experience. ONLY you can decide as it's your hide.
Just remember....riding a motorcycle or in a 4-18 wheeler is DANGEROUS and should be avoided at all cost. Oh yeah, watch out for space junk falling from the sky! Don't hide underground as it's been known to crack open and can swallow you up. Best to just re-locate to a safer planet. :d :mrgreen: Wink)
“A good traveler has no fixed plans,and is not intent on arriving”~ Lao Tzu ~
[Image: 16hvxut.jpg]
[Image: 15r1pnl.jpg]
In Stable
1985 GL1200 Interstate(RIP)
2003 Yamaha Midnight Venture
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650(Wife's Bike)
#18 01-17-2012, 01:45 PM,
MikeM Wrote:Best to just re-locate to a safer planet. :d :mrgreen: Wink)

8)

400 miles and counting on my "emergency" patch - which prompted my re-opening this thread. 8-X

Rear tire, dead center of the tread. Hasn't moved a fraction of a millimeter and is as airtight as Willie Nelson's hatband.
----------------------------------------------------------
'84 Aspencade, '94 Vmax
#19 01-22-2012, 09:58 PM,
I bought my 85 Aspy a couple years back. Put a few thousand KM on it. Decided to remove the rear wheel to lube the splines. Found a plug in the rear tire. Who knows how long it's been in there - my couple thousand KM plus whatever the previous owner did. It's worn so evenly with the rest of the tread it's hard to see. So I'm not messing with it or worrying about it.
#20 01-23-2012, 09:23 AM,
Well the plug held firm for a couple years, just got new E3's installed yesterday.
#21 03-26-2014, 07:36 AM,
I have a Metzler Tourance rear tyre on our Triumph that received a plug done by a journeyman motorcycle tech at his shop. He contacted Metzler and received approval for the location and type of repair. It ran all last summer, enjoyed a track day, and ran 2500km in some pretty hot weather in southern California in February... oops, sorry...

#22 03-26-2014, 09:55 AM,
I removed a drywall screw from my front tire last summer and plugged it with my stop n go pocket tire plugger. I rode on it without incident for about 2 weeks while a new tire was on order. But I sure did feel better when I got that new tire mounted.

NOTE: this was a bias tire, in no way would I use a soft plug in a steel belted tire, except for emergency use. This came from the horses mouth.
A rainy day off beats a sunny day at work any time..................
#23 03-26-2014, 10:04 AM,
There are many things we must think about while we balance on two wheels at a variety of speeds and angles.
Thinking about a punctured and repaired tire is not something I want to think about.
It is very difficult to get my 4-wheeled vehicle to tip over in any situation.
I can knock my two-wheeled vehicle over while it is standing still!

I have fallen, low speed, in an empty parking lot, with no traffic, after my tires found some gas which had been leaking out of a moving car.

IT HURTS AND IT HURTS FOR A LONG, LONG TIME. That was back in the late 1970's.

But, to each, his own.

I'd rather have peace of mind than pieces of my mind, and body, and bike.

-Ride On
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#24 03-27-2014, 09:04 AM,