Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Braided stainless steel brake line questions
This is for the wings with the unified brake system. I've been looking over the diagrams for the brake system on the LTD and was wondering why Honda uses two seperate lines on the left hand brake? I would like to eliminate this fitting in the steering head if I can, it's a simple enough idea to run one brake line from the MC to the left hand calipar.

Also I am wanting any insite that people that have done this to there wings have thought. I've done BSS lines on a CB900C and love them, and they are what makes me hate the brakes on the wing.

Any tips on dropping the fairing off would be welcome as well.
#1 12-17-2006, 08:30 PM,
I can't answer for Honda but my best guess for the front brake hydraulic hose setup is that it keeps things neat and tidy and safe from abrasion in the triple tree/fairings area.

When I installed stainless steel braided hoses on my 84 Aspencade I chose to use the Honda layout because I felt that it made the most sense. The steel pipe between the 2 hoses sure keeps things tight and tidy and the positioning seems to be best for any flexing which is conducive to long hose life.

You can most likely do the job with one hose but you would need to be very crafty with the hose hangers because you would need to be concerned with the turning of the forks left to right but you would also need to be concerned about the up and down of the suspension as well. Just picture how much that hose would move under typical driving conditions and you'll soon appreciate why Honda used the steel pipe to connect the 2 hoses on the left caliper.

For the fairing, take off the fairing lowers, the radio, windshield, mirrors and anything else that adds weight before you remove it because it just makes the job easier. It's not necessary to remove the above but it helps.

Once you've got it stripped down, disconnect all the electrical connectors and then have a helper standby while you remove the attachment bolts at the frame. It's not a hard job to remove the fairing as you will soon find out.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#2 12-18-2006, 07:11 PM,
I was wondering when you buy a set of the SS lines for the SEi does it come with 3 lines just as honda has on its stock GL1200 SEi or does that kit come with only 2 then you have to order a third line to make it stock again..
#3 12-25-2006, 05:31 AM,
Actually Tim, if you're doing it right it should come with 4 hoses.

2-left front, upper and lower
1-right front
1-rear

Then there are steel pipes to join them all together.

#4 12-25-2006, 07:16 AM,
I've only seen one setup that was for the LTD/SEi. I think the other 1200's use standard brake systems, so the front end has three lines (one from the MC to a manifold and then two from the manifold into a calipars. If you want to convert you will need new master cylinders to make it work. The front MC will not move enough fluid for two calipars and the rear will move to much for one calipar.

Generally speaking I think we are left to building our own brake lines for the LTD/SEi.
#5 12-25-2006, 05:04 PM,
As far as I am aware, and correct me if I'm wrong, the Aspencade, LTD and SEi all share the same brake system components.

The Interstate is different in that it has 5MM thick solid disck brake rotors whereas the Aspencade, LTD and SEi have 10MM thick ventilated and slotted disk brake rotors. But the hydraulic hoses and components are all identical.

If you know of other differences please let us know so we can keep the record straight.

#6 12-27-2006, 01:42 PM,
Ok, I just looked over some of the diagrams of the 85 wings, one of the 87 and the 84. Looks like all the years use the same brake system. I looked at one hose in particular #7 in the bikebandit pics, all the 85, and I'm betting all the 87's used the same part number for that hose. The 84's had a part number that was one digit away from being the same, so any BSS line for the wings should interchange between any model.

Thanks admin, I thought I read where the LTD/SEi had different brake system from the rest of them.
#7 12-27-2006, 02:14 PM,
Time for a little update, my wing has what I figure are about a 16" and a 21" rubber lines. I've started looking at the cost and for the two I'm looking at dropping $50 for just the lines. Probably be more like $70 once I have the fittings and then I have to hope that the BSS lines will screw into the hard line on the wing.

Then there is option number two, or a single line for the front. I figure 40" to 42" should be just about right, the two lines both cost $34.99 at the place I've looked and the fittings are about $10 per pop, so a total of $55 for that setup. The fittings I'm looking at using is a 10mm 90 degree on the top and a 35 degree on the bottom. That sound about right?

It would be nice to do the double line in some ways, but I don't see any practical value. It's expensive, I don't know if the new lines will fit, and then I would have to figure out how to mount the rubber lines up where they were. I guess this explanes why the line kits on Venco are so expensive. The single line looks like the winner. And if you decide to replace the single line it can be done with the fairing in place!

I get why Honda used the solid lines on the rear, but I can't for the life of me understand why they used that short bit in the front. :evil:

BTW, before I go and buy my lines I'm going to cut some string at 42" and see if it works. That should give me a pretty good idea of I need longer or shorter.
#8 01-08-2007, 06:36 PM,
Last year, I bought a front and rear set of braided stainless brakelines, complete with all fittings, from a company in England by the name of HEL. (<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.h.e.l.co.uk">http://www.h.e.l.co.uk</a><!-- w -->) The price was very reasonable and service was top notch. Delivered in under two weeks, too. I was going to install original Honda pieces but I was informed by the local dealer that they were no longer available. Pricing was well over what I paid to HEL. The difference in stopping power and brake feel is very noticeable and inspires confidence.
#9 01-08-2007, 07:45 PM,
I do understand I am jumping in a little late on this one.

Hel is now operating out of Florida.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://helusa.com/">http://helusa.com/</a><!-- m -->

I havnt measured the brake lines and presumably if the brake lines require replacement the clutch line would also require replacing.
The clutch line has a factory fitted rear flex to steel section that would necessitate the replacement line be one piece from master to slave, otherwise why replace one section if your going to leave an old section in place.

Item 8 being the rear section.
Item 7 being the front section

[Image: clutchlinelayout.jpg]

I don't know how long this new clutch line will be but during the winter lay over I shall remove the section and measure.

As far as the front brake is concerned from reading the earlier posts it seems the SE is different from the aspencade being that items 7,10 & 11 are for the SE and the other models might take take Item 9 which is a single line.

[Image: frontbrakelinelayoutmastercylinder.jpg]

The unified right front and rear would just need Item 1 from the lower diagram for the rear and Item 8 on the upper diagram for the front

[Image: rearbrakelayoutmastercylinder.jpg]
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#10 10-30-2007, 06:28 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can't get all the air out of Right Front Caliper brake line WingMan71 6 2,777 05-19-2017, 05:49 AM
Last Post: WingMan71
  Stainless brake & clutch Lines SIR tricky 55 18,686 03-09-2014, 10:52 AM
Last Post: glkm
  GREAT SOURCE FOR STAINLESS BRAKE HOSE admin 8 4,859 01-25-2014, 03:28 AM
Last Post: Roleketu
  Stuck brake line worfccrmc 3 1,711 07-02-2012, 02:27 PM
Last Post: seabee
  rear brake line Usblack129 5 2,077 06-16-2012, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Usblack129
  braided stainless steel brake hoses 19 5,199 03-27-2010, 07:23 AM
Last Post: bluewing
  foot brake master cylinder questions machz54 1 903 04-28-2009, 05:43 PM
Last Post: machz54
  STAINLESS STEEL BRAKE HOSES, GREAT PRICE admin 4 1,995 04-14-2009, 05:25 PM
Last Post: SIR tricky
  Stainless Steel Lines for foot-activated brake Robbin 11 4,617 03-22-2007, 06:12 AM
Last Post: admin