Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.6 Average
Step by step on synchronizing my carbs
I had a call last weekend from a guy that had a carb sync done on his GL1200 at a bike shop about 3 weeks ago, after the sync it was still popping and the idle was rough. Randy paid $120 to have the sync done. I brought my manometer over to his house and checked it out; the carbs were way out, so far that #1 and 3 carbs would not even register on the meter. After we were finished the sync it ran like a charm. The snow stopped him from taking it for a ride but there was a big difference in the way it ran. Randy took the information back to the bike shop and asked for hi money back; they did give him half of it, better than nothing I guess but still a rip off.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#31 01-02-2008, 07:56 PM,
It's not the first shop that I've heard of that did not know how to use a carb synchronyzer properly. That's why I'm glad I do all my own repairs. If you find a shop with good service people treat them like gold because they are hard to find.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#32 01-02-2008, 09:31 PM,
The Honda dealer by my place is very good and they do work on older wings. There service is good and I have never heard anyone who was not happy with their work. The only problem with them is what they charge, big money but it is always fixed properly. I would rather do the work myself, with the information we can get from this Forum I don't think there is much we can't do to our 1200s. If you do it yourself you can take the time to make sure it is done properly and also service other things as you come across them. Besides I love working on my Wing, it is a hobby that I love doing.
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#33 01-02-2008, 10:32 PM,
I just finished doing a carb job and I picked up my Motion Pro sync. tool today.
Sat., she'll be running as good as new.

If anyone needs a sync job done around the Georgetown area, just let me know. I'd be happy to help. Send me a PM

Lane helped with mine last year. I was so happy with the results, I had to have one of those tools for myself.
The journey chosen will determine the destination.
#34 04-15-2008, 05:11 PM,
Thats great Bluesman and nice of you to offer your help. The Motion Pro is a good tool to have, it works well and easy to use. We should go for a ride again this summer, the Kitchener trip was a lot of fun.
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#35 04-15-2008, 11:14 PM,
I just bought the Sync Pro,

then Tom Young at Motion Pro is where i bought the sync tool called me back and offered me the mercury sync tool he said that there is no calibration necessary and the Mercury unit was easier to use.

Anyone using the Deluxe Professional Carb Sync. from Motion Pro the tool it is a mercury unit??

Thanks

Gary
#36 04-21-2008, 01:49 PM,
I just used the Motion Pro Tool with the blue Kool Aid ( as Vic likes to call it ), the same one that Lane has, and it works great. Calabration is not a problem. It takes a minute to do and it's easy.
The difference is that the blue kool aid is a lot cheaper to replace. If you use the tool according to instructions, you shouldn't have to replace it anyways.

Which ever tool you prefer, I'm sure they both work just as well, but more importantly, when carbs are in sync., your wing will perform a lot more smoother and more efficiently.

Yes Lane, we should ride again soon. P.M. me
The journey chosen will determine the destination.
#37 04-21-2008, 02:12 PM,
I agree with Bluesman, the Motion Pro Mercury free is very easy to use; the calibration only takes a min. I have one and I am very happy with it. My mechanic who has worked on wings for years is one of the people who recommended it to me. I don't think it matters which one you use as long as your carbs are synced, that is where the big difference is.
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#38 04-21-2008, 09:50 PM,
westwing Wrote:I just bought the Sync Pro,

then Tom Young at Motion Pro is where i bought the sync tool called me back and offered me the mercury sync tool he said that there is no calibration necessary and the Mercury unit was easier to use.

Anyone using the Deluxe Professional Carb Sync. from Motion Pro the tool it is a mercury unit??

Thanks

Gary

The only problem with the mercury tool (which is the one I have) is when you lose the mercury. Once a guy revved the engine and sucked it all into the engine and just a few weeks ago I knocked a hose off the back and all the mercury spilled out. I recovered most of it but it's still not nice stuff to have laying around. Now I'm debating wether to buy more mercury or invest in a new tool with the non toxic kool aid.

#39 04-22-2008, 04:51 AM,
After reading these posts I decided to get myself a carb sync tool as I know my carbs need a little attention. Found a good price for the Motion Pro tool at handsontools.com - $80 delivered. Just passing this along in case some of you are looking to buy one.
John
#40 05-01-2008, 12:32 AM,
Thanks John, that's a pretty good price. I just ordered one of those instead of ordering replacement mercury for my other tool. Mercury does a slightly better job but the hazard is always in the back of my mind. Now I can rest easy.

#41 05-01-2008, 02:32 PM,
So double checking.....On an Interstate there is no reason to remove the bottom fairing?
#42 05-02-2008, 02:15 PM,
They need to come off Marty, if you're adjusting the carbs.

#43 05-02-2008, 03:33 PM,
westwing Wrote:I just bought the Sync Pro,

Thanks

Gary

I personally do not perfer the mercury unit. If something goes wrong, I'd rather have water in my engine than mercury. Then again, that's just me.
#44 05-02-2008, 05:23 PM,
I just synchronized my carbs, they were close but I wanted to get them dead on, this took me a bit longer then normal to get it right on. I found that the blue liquid in the sync pro after about 30 min of continuous use started to break up and have air pockets in it which gave me a false reading. I shut the bike off for a few seconds, long enough for all the blue liquid to drain out of the tubes, I started the bike up and it was ok again. I don't know if it was because I ran it too long or what but if an air pocket shows in the middle of your sync it will raise the top line of the blue liquid higher than it actually should be. This only happened ounce so maybe it was something I did wrong. The end results were great; I don’t have any popping or hesitations at all. My bike is running great. I was wondering if anyone else has had that happen to them?
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#45 05-04-2008, 08:51 AM,