Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which Clutch?
Due to the fact that my motor was locked up tight after too long in storage, I've got my motor torn to pieces. The problem has been identified and repaired so now reassembly is underway. I have an '85 motor that was included in the original purchase by the PO. My motor in the bike is an '87. The clutch (outer) baskets are different in that there are more teeth that engage the clutch friction plates, As near as I can tell the (inner) clutch hubs are identical as are the springs.

Now for the question: Is there any real difference in durability/reliability between thew two outer baskets? It almost looks like the later model one is more like something from an automatic transmission out of a car rather than a motorcycle clutch basket. I'm not sure if this was done by Honda for ease of manufacturing or durability???

I want to get it as good as can be for the remainder of it's life because I don't want to remove the engine just to fix something that I can do now by using the right parts. Also I think I've found a better spring system to eliminate that pesky high gear clutch slippage that many of us experience.

Thanx, Ride Safe!
see ya in the lanes
bix
#1 09-01-2016, 11:50 AM,