Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
head phones
My cassette and radio works but you cannot hear it once you get going more than about 40 miles an hour. I tried listening to my smartphone with the push in the ears headphones. I tried like 6 different brands and I still couldn't hear anything above 40 miles an hour.

Any suggestions for headphone brands and models I can hear with?

Where can I buy that adapter that you plug into your cassette that you can plug your smart phone jack into?

Where can I tap into a power source that I can put in one of those cigarette lighter plug ins so I can charge my smartphone?

Thank you,

Hondaow
#1 04-03-2014, 07:38 PM,
hondaow,

Sounds like maybe you have the radio muted, so it isn't playing at full volume potential. There should be a "mute" button on the left handlebar (above the tuning toggle switch). This button is actually poorly labeled: it should be called an attenuation button, because it doesn't actually kill all the sound, but rather it attenuates it down to a lower volume. I suppose they used mute because it's a shorter word.

Anyway, the mute switch should be in the "out" position to get full volume and the "in" position to get the reduced volume.

It is illegal in most parts of the US to ride with buds or headphones on, so I would suggest NOT doing that.

You should be able to get a cassette adapter just about anywhere: Walmart, a truck stop or convenience store, or Amazon. They're cheap and abundant.

You should be able to find the fuse box, under your "glove box" insert in the fake gas tank. There is an "Accessory" position that you can wire a 12V power outlet into.

Good luck!
#2 04-20-2015, 05:20 PM,
I doubt Honda would put in a system that violated state laws.

Using a headset for the intercom is the safest thing to do on a motorcycle, a little different than using a headset in a car which would actually block out a fellow passenger attempting to communicate, but reading the following website, there is very little in the way of restrictions for headsets in both motorcycle or automobiles.

You will find that motorcycle police use headsets while operating the vehicles, maybe not for music but headsets just the same. I also never use the headset for music, just for intercom and CB.

http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/headsets/
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#3 04-20-2015, 08:31 PM,
Well, they have, according to the page that you listed. 8 states prohibit it completely (Alaska, Cali, Colorado, Florida, Maryland, Minnesota, New York, Pennsylvania), and 7 others (Georgia, Illinois, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Ohio, Virginia, Washington) typically only exempt motorcycle helmets for communication purposes. Many of these specifically prohibit entertainment use.

LE personnel are usually exempt from these kinds of laws.

The OP is specifically stating buds or phones used for entertainment purposes, not communication, and since he doesn't list WHERE in the USA he lives, I just intended a friendly warning that it may not be a good idea. He also does not state that the phones will be inside of a helmet, and ALL of the states that exempt specifically state a helmet (or protective headgear) mounted headphone.

My "most" adjective is out of line, though... In light of your link, "some" would have been more suitable.
#4 04-20-2015, 09:13 PM,
i have always used a J&M headset mounted earphones and mic with excellent results with the stock factory radio,although most of the time use the fairing speakers for both radio and cb,at higher speeds i do have to switch to the helmet speakers at times

plenty of adapter on ebay,but would bet that the cheaper you use the poorer results
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAXELL-CD-MP3-MD...27f7515d71
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#5 04-20-2015, 09:51 PM,
(04-20-2015, 09:13 PM)dl_sledding Wrote: Well, they have, according to the page that you listed. 8 states prohibit it completely (Alaska, Cali, Colorado, Florida, Maryland, Minnesota, New York, Pennsylvania), and 7 others (Georgia, Illinois, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Ohio, Virginia, Washington) typically only exempt motorcycle helmets for communication purposes. Many of these specifically prohibit entertainment use.

LE personnel are usually exempt from these kinds of laws.

The OP is specifically stating buds or phones used for entertainment purposes, not communication, and since he doesn't list WHERE in the USA he lives, I just intended a friendly warning that it may not be a good idea. He also does not state that the phones will be inside of a helmet, and ALL of the states that exempt specifically state a helmet (or protective headgear) mounted headphone.

My "most" adjective is out of line, though... In light of your link, "some" would have been more suitable.

You will find in Alaska there is no restriction on headsets in a helmet:
California is restricted to one ear
Florida helmet speakers are allowed
Maryland Not prohibited Helmet speakers
Minnesota one ear
New York one ear
PA communication only

http://americanmotorcyclist.com/Rights/S...?stateid=2

I have never suggested using headsets for entertainment, I have speakers on the bike which suffice for my entertainment factor. I have found when trying to use the headsets for the radio that it does remove part of the safety factor, maybe I am wrong lots of riders do, but I also feel using powered sub woofers not really conducive to motorcycle safety either but that's my opinion.

Riding to me is the key entertainment factor, using the CB in controlled group riding is also a safety factor.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#6 04-21-2015, 05:58 AM,
(04-21-2015, 05:58 AM)SIR tricky Wrote: You will find in Alaska there is no restriction on headsets in a helmet:
California is restricted to one ear
Florida helmet speakers are allowed
Maryland Not prohibited Helmet speakers
Minnesota one ear
New York one ear
PA communication only

http://americanmotorcyclist.com/Rights/S...?stateid=2

So, depending on the website that we look at there is conflicting information. Par for the course when citing the Internet. Best to talk to local LE, right?

(04-21-2015, 05:58 AM)SIR tricky Wrote: I have never suggested using headsets for entertainment

But this is EXACTLY what the OP is discussing. Which is why I was trying to give a friendly warning. Apparently that is not really welcome here, considering the amount of negativity I am sensing... Sorry. I'm dropping it now...
#7 04-21-2015, 06:07 AM,
I commute on the highways of Los Angeles and Orange Counties where the past time of local operators of the non two-wheeled kind is 'me first at any cost'.
I don't listen to the radio as it can be one more distraction (weak radio frequency, favorite song is interrupted by static, the constant commercials) and I need to focus on getting to 'Point B' without becoming a hood ornament.
And since traffic doesn't exist on two wheels, a radio for traffic reports is not required.
Communication between your riding partner or in a group would be more advanced than, say, hand gestures, but again, in my book, not required.
On my 32 miles ride (one-way), I listen to the engine, the wind, the 'thump, thump, thump' of the car next to me drifting out of their lane.

And besides, the voices in my head are more than enough for me!!

Folks, let's stay on track with the original question and take personal opinions with a grain of salt. (Remember the 'what oil do you use and why?' Tsunami of a few years back?)

The suggestions were:
Check to see if your Mute button is in its proper position to hear through the speakers on the bike.
Check to see if your Mute button is functioning properly.
Check to see if the speakers are working properly. Improperly grounded or shorted wires will also cause a muting or muffling effect.
Check the plugs of the speakers for oxidation or any other form of high resistance.
Basically, check your existing system for proper functions.
The easy fix is to go through the cassette, but then, the cassette head needs to be good and clean or you will hear (or won’t hear – pun intended) the same results. Remember, these sound systems are old and unless you were lucky enough to have found the rare bird, your bike spent part of its life out in the elements.

That mentioned: CHECK LOCAL LAWS PERTAINING TO THE USE OF HELMET SPEAKERS

A good day to go riding is a terrible thing to waste on the side of the road while the officer writes your citation.

Ignorance is NOT bliss, it is expensive.

-Ride On
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#8 04-24-2015, 09:48 AM,