Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Mechless radio install
My GL never had a radio and I was never a fan of the Panasonic setup nor did I want to buy all the parts and only end up with a radio and cassette.

I ended up buying a Pyle PLMR86B mechless Marine radio and a set of GL speakers. The radio was $50 on eBay and I forget what I paid for the speakers and grills (each with a broken tab)... but it wasn't much.

The mechless radio has no moving parts, it's a radio and a USB, SD playback device. It is not very deep and should fit easily into the fairing. (hope that statement was not the kiss of death).

To mount the radio I generated a template in AutoCAD and cut out a test piece on a laser cutter available to me at our local hacker space. I have (hopefully) correctly attached the photo.

I am going to size it up tonight and if all is well will buy some 3/16 black Luxan tomorrow and do a proper cut.

I also created a 2" hole for my voltmeter as it is currently mounted by my right knee where the air ride controls are on the Aspencade.

More to come...

Attached Files
.jpg   gl1200 radio plate.jpg (Size: 259.17 KB / Downloads: 49)
1986 GL1200 Interstate
New stator (connector removed)
Analog Volt Meter
Rear reflector - turn/brake mod.
LED lights, 95% complete.
HID headlight upgrade.
TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system)
Pyle PLMR86B mechless Marine radio.
Awesome Marvin the Martian mudflap.
#1 06-13-2013, 02:32 PM,
(06-13-2013, 02:32 PM)Peter Wrote: My GL never had a radio and I was never a fan of the Panasonic setup nor did I want to buy all the parts and only end up with a radio and cassette.

I ended up buying a Pyle PLMR86B mechless Marine radio and a set of GL speakers. The radio was $50 on eBay and I forget what I paid for the speakers and grills (each with a broken tab)... but it wasn't much.

The mechless radio has no moving parts, it's a radio and a USB, SD playback device. It is not very deep and should fit easily into the fairing. (hope that statement was not the kiss of death).

To mount the radio I generated a template in AutoCAD and cut out a test piece on a laser cutter available to me at our local hacker space. I have (hopefully) correctly attached the photo.

I am going to size it up tonight and if all is well will buy some 3/16 black Luxan tomorrow and do a proper cut.

I also created a 2" hole for my voltmeter as it is currently mounted by my right knee where the air ride controls are on the Aspencade.

More to come...

WHen installing an aftermarket radio, in all the cases I have seen the radio bezel extends outward about 1.5" and then depending on the radio the bracket in the fairing has to be ground or cut to accept the back of the radio. "edit" the radio bracket is on the Aspencade maybe the Interstate doesnt have this bracket.

One reason I prefer the Honda setup is the inclusion of the Intercom also also the CB is interconnected.... and last but not least, the auto volume control, and who uses the cassette now anyway with the advent of mp3 players, I have my apple Ipod touch connected through the antenna

Something like the attached picture

Attached Files
.gif   26b.gif (Size: 4.16 KB / Downloads: 20)
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 06-13-2013, 05:04 PM,
Since that unit is less than 5 inches deep, it might fit pretty well. If you can figure a way to support the back of the unit well, it will be a good choice. I think that if you just support it with the plastic of the speedo frame that the frame will eventually crack.
Charlie
1992 GL1500 SE
[Image: Visited.jpg]
#3 06-13-2013, 09:13 PM,
Test fitting was perfect. Smile

I measured up the Mechless... it is only 4" deep. WOOT!

I also included a photo of the template with the radio installed in the fairing. All I need to do is trim the 1/16" raised edge around where the Panasonic radio mounts and cut the trim where the clock usually goes to accommodate the voltmeter.

Rear support will be done with low expanding foam. Double tape a zip lock bag onto the shield where the radio lives, install the radio, inject a small amount of foam until the plastic bag makes contact with the bottom of the radio, let dry. I have used this method in boats before and it works well. Just make sure you get the low expanding foam, NOT the gap filling foam and don't cheap out on the Zip-lock bag.

Also keep in mind we are only talking 4" of radio

Off to get my acrylic cut... more photos to follow.

Question... has anyone installed rear speaker "IN" their tail trunk? I was thinking 3" or 3.5" facing forward on either side of the passenger backrest. Your thoughts?

Attached Files
.jpg   mechless-test.jpg (Size: 292.94 KB / Downloads: 25)
1986 GL1200 Interstate
Analog Volt Meter
HID headlight upgrade.
#4 06-14-2013, 08:38 AM,
The ltd editions have the rear speakers along with a more powerful amplifier.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#5 06-14-2013, 09:45 AM,
Acrylic is cut. I purchased 3/16" but might up that to 1/4" if I think it will give me problems. The 11x14 piece cost me $15.

Two trim pieces were cut with enough left over to cut a third.

I peeled the protective cover off the back of my working trim piece and was pleased with the cut. That being said I wish there was a duller looking acrylic. It sure is shiny.

My Father's Day project looks like it is a go.

More photos to follow.

Attached Files
.jpg   plate-cut.jpg (Size: 262.23 KB / Downloads: 20)
1986 GL1200 Interstate
Analog Volt Meter
HID headlight upgrade.
#6 06-14-2013, 10:01 AM,
Great idea with the foam and baggie!
1986 SEi Limited Edition. 1985 Aspencade
If it's not broke, I can fix that!
#7 06-14-2013, 06:26 PM,
(06-14-2013, 08:38 AM)Peter Wrote: Test fitting was perfect. Smile

I measured up the Mechless... it is only 4" deep. WOOT!

I also included a photo of the template with the radio installed in the fairing. All I need to do is trim the 1/16" raised edge around where the Panasonic radio mounts and cut the trim where the clock usually goes to accommodate the voltmeter.

Rear support will be done with low expanding foam. Double tape a zip lock bag onto the shield where the radio lives, install the radio, inject a small amount of foam until the plastic bag makes contact with the bottom of the radio, let dry. I have used this method in boats before and it works well. Just make sure you get the low expanding foam, NOT the gap filling foam and don't cheap out on the Zip-lock bag.

Also keep in mind we are only talking 4" of radio

Off to get my acrylic cut... more photos to follow.

Question... has anyone installed rear speaker "IN" their tail trunk? I was thinking 3" or 3.5" facing forward on either side of the passenger backrest. Your thoughts?

That's going to look real nice, and the foam support is a great idea. For rear speakers on the Interstate I used to have, I installed these:

http://www.islandmarineelectronics.com/P...p_144.html

...so that I wouldn't have to do any major surgery on the trunk lid. They worked very well. They also looked nice, at least I thought so. I attached a pic.

Attached Files
.jpg   GL1200_3.jpg (Size: 461.19 KB / Downloads: 26)
Charlie
1992 GL1500 SE
[Image: Visited.jpg]
#8 06-14-2013, 09:02 PM,
Progress report.

Some good news and some surprises. Turns out I don't have to use the baggy/foam method. The support piece I thought was attached to the bike is actually part of the radio trim piece so I can easily install a foam support and the supplied metal hanging. The not so great news is I have a small crack on the left side on that trim piece Angry (which can be fixed) and the 2 top supporting screws will have to be tapped and cut real short in order to work. The metal is all part of the rubber seal around the gauges.

I also need to buy an antenna extension cable because mine is buried someplace in my workshop and trying to find it could seriously delay the install.

Radio itself is a perfect fit but I will need to trim the voltmeter hole slightly (see photo) I will fix the CAD dwg to move it over to the left if I find that installing the meter turns into too much of a headache. That will require me cutting a new support trim.

The radio weighs in at a mere 614 grams or 1.35 pounds. So I am not too concerned about breaking anything especially once I support the radio with foam and the metal bracket.

Hope to finish install tonight. All my kids Heart came over fathers day and they trump the bike. Besides... they waited on me hand and foot and it is the only day in the year that happens so I took full advantage of it. Big Grin

Attached Files
.jpg   crack.jpg (Size: 227.13 KB / Downloads: 21)
.jpg   foam.jpg (Size: 279.58 KB / Downloads: 19)
.jpg   support.jpg (Size: 231.19 KB / Downloads: 13)
1986 GL1200 Interstate
Analog Volt Meter
HID headlight upgrade.
#9 06-17-2013, 08:30 AM,
One reason I prefer the Honda setup is the inclusion of the Intercom also also the CB is interconnected.... and last but not least, the auto volume control, and who uses the cassette now anyway with the advent of mp3 players, I have my apple Ipod touch connected through the antenna

Tricky,
How did you connect the iPod through the antenna?
#10 06-17-2013, 01:49 PM,
Update.

Looks like I won't have to use any foam at all. By installing the bracket on the back of the mechless radio there is more than enough support once it is sitting in the fairing. There is a metal support bracket on the fairing about 5 cm away from where the trim piece is supported. I will try to take a picture.

If this works as well as I hope I may have to upgrade to this radio...

Pyle PLMR17BTB AM/FM-MPX In-Dash Marine Detachable Face Radio with SD/MMC/USB Player and Bluetooth Wireless Technology.

Someone posted that the bluetooth phone connection worked well enough while riding. Something that may have to be put to the test. Has anyone done that?

I agree with Wingy, the factory setup is nice, but since I have nothing and the complete setup (with CB) on ebay is $800 I decided to go the mechless route. I imagine if I sourced individual OEM components you could put a radio only system together for around $400, but then again all this electronics is almost 30 years old.
1986 GL1200 Interstate
Analog Volt Meter
HID headlight upgrade.
#11 06-18-2013, 10:11 AM,
About that metal bracket thing... I am back to using cut foam, it just makes the install that much easier. The foam will go between the bottom of the mechless and the plastic

Test fitting with everything installed looks good. Plate is really shiny.

Attached Files
.jpg   fitting.jpg (Size: 313.77 KB / Downloads: 12)
.jpg   support.jpg (Size: 273.11 KB / Downloads: 11)
1986 GL1200 Interstate
Analog Volt Meter
HID headlight upgrade.
#12 06-18-2013, 06:52 PM,
Peter, if memory serves me correctly, fingernail polish remover will make the plexy plate a bit less shiny
Vegetarian: Old Indian word for Bad Hunter

[Image: VisitedStatesMap.jpg]
#13 06-18-2013, 09:04 PM,
(06-18-2013, 09:04 PM)wildhorse Wrote: Peter, if memory serves me correctly, fingernail polish remover will make the plexy plate a bit less shiny

Thanks... I might give that a try.

If I end up not liking the look I was thinking of replacing the acrylic with nylon.
1986 GL1200 Interstate
Analog Volt Meter
HID headlight upgrade.
#14 06-19-2013, 08:09 AM,
The acetone in the fingernail polish remover will melt plexi. You better try it on a piece of scrap first.
1986 SEi Limited Edition. 1985 Aspencade
If it's not broke, I can fix that!
#15 06-19-2013, 05:11 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CB Radio Install sparky65 1 1,704 09-11-2013, 02:03 PM
Last Post: bs175dths
  Radio Install 6 3,756 07-10-2008, 06:34 PM
Last Post: Guest