GL1200 GOLDWINGS
Help she dont turn over - Printable Version

+- GL1200 GOLDWINGS (http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200)
+-- Forum: TECH CENTER (http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Forum: IGNITION SYSTEM CAUSES AND CURES (http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Help she dont turn over (/showthread.php?tid=9313)

Help she dont turn over - jaycojman43 - 04-23-2012

A friend of mine has a 1985 or 86 Wing. His battery tender got unplugged during winter and he didn't know it. When he try to start the bike nothing. Battery was died. He bought a new one stuck it in. When you turn the key on, The lights don't come right on now it takes a few then they come on. Also the bike still wont turn over. I told him to have the new battery tested. I believe it could be bad. He never had any problems before. What do you guys think.. Thanks

Re: Help she dont turn over - SIR tricky - 04-23-2012

Agreed, you can't do anything until you know the battery is top notch

Re: Help she dont turn over - unionjack - 04-23-2012

Many batteries come dry and need the fluid installed, most come dead and need charging before use.

The good ones (like Oddyssey) come ready to rock and roll and never need a tender hooked up.

Re: Help she dont turn over - SIR tricky - 04-23-2012

unionjack Wrote:Many batteries come dry and need the fluid installed, most come dead and need charging before use.

The good ones (like Oddyssey) come ready to rock and roll and never need a tender hooked up.

That just depends on how long you leave them standing while the radio/CB memory is drawing power.

Providing they are fully charged and unhooked from any draw they will last up to two years, the colder the better.

The following is from the Owners manual

"To get long life from the ODYSSEY battery, it is important that the battery is kept near full charge, approximately
12.8 volts. If there are electrical loads during storage, then the negative battery cable should be disconnected or an
independent float charger used. Low power 2.0 amp chargers for storage charge will keep a fully charged battery
fully charged but cannot recharge if the ODYSSEY battery becomes discharged."

I do hook mine up to a tender junior, sometimes I don't get to ride for several weeks and I do have a radio and CB memory drawing power

Re: Help she dont turn over - unionjack - 04-24-2012

Well obviously if it is sitting for a long time with a drain on it you need something to replace it. Disconnected it is good for two years in storage, but according to the manufacturer the 'battery tender junior' does not keep the battery fully charged, but maintains it at a lower than full state, at a state that would match most of the other brands of weaker batteries. They list a number of alternative chargers that they do recommend though.

Personally here in San Diego I would never have to go for more than a few days without using the bike anyway, therefore the bike keeps it charged off of my 60 amp. alternator without the need for any tender.

Re: Help she dont turn over - SIR tricky - 04-24-2012

I have my BT Junior connected to my Odyssey and the voltage is measuring at 12.96 all winter with the radio and CB connected.
Odyssey manual says if the battery is reading 12.84 or higher it is in 100% state of charge

Of course they recommend their own chargers, this is understandable

The ODYSSEYowner's manual specifically states;

"Chargers listed on our website at are specifically designed for ODYSSEY batteries that are routinely deeply discharged."

In short, ODYSSEY says that a low power (2 amp) charger can indeed be used to maintain a charge....but not for recharging a flat battery. Given that, it could be argued that the Battery-Tender, Battery Tender JR (or similar products) might not be sufficient, since they typically do not output 2amps, but rather output in the amp range of .75 to 1.25'ish. However, it does make me wonder if Odyssey's 2amp statement is more of a ballpark figure, rather an precise minimum threshold for amperage

When I finish riding for the day, the BT Junior is connected, one presumes the battery would be fully charged after riding.

Re: Help she dont turn over - jaycojman43 - 04-24-2012

thanks for the reply. I'll pass the info on to him..