GL1200 GOLDWINGS
My $1200 Craigslist 1985 Aspencade - Printable Version

+- GL1200 GOLDWINGS (http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200)
+-- Forum: PEOPLE, PLACES and THINGS (http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Forum: PICTURE GALLERY (http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Thread: My $1200 Craigslist 1985 Aspencade (/showthread.php?tid=7946)

My $1200 Craigslist 1985 Aspencade - Siberiancat - 02-07-2011

Finally decided to get that motorcycle I always wanted sold my gas hog 95 tahoe and stumbled across this 85 Aspy on craigslist for $1200
the bad part is it was 300 miles from me and the starter was doa so i couldnt hear it run. bought it got a trailer and went and picked it up.
I fell in love when i say it sitting there alone. loaded it up and drug it home. the starter went out 2 years ago and the PO never drained the gas from it.
got it home with no where to work on it i found a shop that was reasonable on price. as of today, carbs have been removed and cleaned tuned upwill be synced, timing belts replaced(and i am glad i did both cams were 1 notch out of time) new battery, oil change coolant flush, horn button repaired, new grips,new rear tire, new rear brakes when he was putting the carbs back on one o ring was broken hegot one that looked the same but turned out to be thicker and the intake cracked when tightened down. he has located a replacement for it (his cost) inside the starter one of the brush guides was broken off the brush mount. I checked the dogbone and stator plug. both look like new she still has the orignal replacement dogbone.she has a few afternarket goodies like the front fender extension and engine covers and it looks like the PO lost the battery cover as it is painted different then the right side cover. now the pictures

[Image: 1985GoldwingAspencade005.jpg]

[Image: 1985GoldwingAspencade006.jpg]

[Image: 1985GoldwingAspencade004.jpg]

[Image: 1985GoldwingAspencade007.jpg]

so i think i got a steal or do you experts think i got screwed?

I plan on a new paint to freshen her look

Re: My $1200 Craigslist 1985 Aspencade - neoracer - 02-07-2011

maybe you could have done better since you cant do all the work yourself,but if your in and running for less than $2000 you probably did all right, free is always better,but then again free usually ends up with alot of those hidden costs

welcome to the best goldwing site and enjoy your new ride

Re: My $1200 Craigslist 1985 Aspencade - Roleketu - 02-07-2011

Welcome to the best GL1200 site. Looks like you found a sweet deal. You got lucky also finding a shop that will work on an older Wing. You'll find most of us here work on our own bikes so it's a great place to ask questions. And don't be shy with the questions, you'll get the best suggestions and zippy quick.

Re: My $1200 Craigslist 1985 Aspencade - detdrbuzzard - 02-07-2011

nice find and a good price even if you did have to have someone else work on it

Re: My $1200 Craigslist 1985 Aspencade - Keener - 02-07-2011

Good find, Robert, and welcome to the site. As for working on your "new" 'Wing, the members here are very helpful. My limited skills have improved significantly and I do quite a bit more work myself now. However, I'm fortunate to have several sources here who can handle the tasks I can't, or won't, tackle.

Enjoy!

Re: My $1200 Craigslist 1985 Aspencade - Siberiancat - 02-07-2011

belive me i want to work on her but with no where to do so out of the snow i had to bite the bullet. Thanx for the welcome i am loving this site. I do plan on doing work on her when i either find a place i can use a garage or the weather improves. of course better weather and i hope to be riding Smile If anyone is coming through south west missouri drop a line

Re: My $1200 Craigslist 1985 Aspencade - neoracer - 02-07-2011

maybe you have a friend who can lend ya some garage space out of the snow or maybe even a forum member who is close and wants to give you some hands on "training" :YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE: nothing like training from the best

Re: My $1200 Craigslist 1985 Aspencade - Siberiancat - 02-07-2011

I agree I am looking for a kind soul

Re: My $1200 Craigslist 1985 Aspencade - Justme1200 - 11-20-2011

Nice, just picked up my 1st off of craigs list as well. Paid $1100 running but needs carb work and repair the mouse damage in the fairing. Looking forward to riding with no worries next season.

RE: My $1200 Craigslist 1985 Aspencade - Smay - 07-01-2013

I just got the same bike, color even, for $1000. Fixed the clutch and away I went. They are gret bikes and the people around here are great.

RE: My $1200 Craigslist 1985 Aspencade - bs175dths - 07-01-2013

Welcome to the site!
Here is Southern California, we have 385 days of riding weather (I know, 365), and the same number of days to work on the bikes as well.
I picked up my "new" GL1200 approx. 3 years ago in non-running condition from the Original Owners, son who kept it two years after his Dad (original owner) had passed.
Original owner put 104,000 miles on the bike by the time he had reached 80 years old, and a cold turned nasty and took him.
I spend two years of spare time, and numerous hours at THIS site, and have done the regular maintenance, electrical upgrades (including a recent external alternator), and head gaskets.
She now has 139,700 miles and is running strong.

I recently had to do business with a large motorcycle shop which does not sell the Honda brand or work on older bikes (a friend works there) and I HAD to point out the alternator (he is a gear head too).
Next thing I know, there are 6 mechanics looking and asking questions.
What dumbfounded them the most was not the external alternator, but the fact the bike has only had the head gaskets replaced with over 100,000 miles!

So, to quote a famous quote, from a famous movie......... 'you have chosen wisely!'

Welcome to the family of never-ending (s)miles.

-Ride On