GL1200 GOLDWINGS
spin on oil filter conversion - Printable Version

+- GL1200 GOLDWINGS (http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200)
+-- Forum: TECH CENTER (http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Forum: EXPERTS CORNER (http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: spin on oil filter conversion (/showthread.php?tid=7403)

Pages: 1 2

Re: spin on oil filter conversion - Guest - 08-11-2010

do you guyz realize that the 'SF' or other ratings for oil that are all over the service manuals are now obsolete due to the improved quality of oil and new rating codes?

While significant wear over time could have been a real concern 25yrs ago we are living in a different times. Engines used to be 'old' at 80,000 miles and now 200K is very easy with normal maintenance.

Anyone not using quality oil these days will imo likely have a lot more problems than dry start issues.

Re: spin on oil filter conversion - admin - 08-11-2010

Keep doing what you're doing as it's a very good practice.

Re: spin on oil filter conversion - edbikerii - 08-24-2010

So, is there anything to this anti-drainback valve stuff? I've noticed some noise at cold start that sounds like a knock, but it goes away after a few seconds. If I run the starter for 2 or three seconds before I activate the kill switch, then there's no abnormal noise at all. I never notice any unusual knocking at any other time.

I'm assuming that the cold start condition has allowed the oil to drain out of the oiling system back into the sump. I'm thinkiing that when I run the starter for a few seconds, it allows the oil pressure to build up and eliminates the noise.

Has anybody done the spin-on upgrade and noticed reduced noise at cold start?

Re: spin on oil filter conversion - Guest - 08-24-2010

edbikerii Wrote:<snip>

Has anybody done the spin-on upgrade and noticed reduced noise at cold start?

I did not notice any difference in noise at startup after the spin-on upgrade...but I had no noise before. I know that didn't help at all. But it was my experience.

garyb

Re: spin on oil filter conversion - bluewing - 08-24-2010

I have the spin-on adapter, the spin on filters have an anti drainback valve that keeps the filter full of oil when the motor is shut off. I think that most of our 1200s are a bit noisy at start up. The only time I use the kill switch and turn the motor over is when I do a filter change and I want to fill the filter before I start the motor.

Re: spin on oil filter conversion - Guest - 08-24-2010

I don't hear any noise at start up, I have well under 50K miles.....

maybe I've just had too many beerz but since the dipstick was created with the oem setup in mind, wouldn't you need to allow for a lower dipstick reading if some oil was held up in the filter to avoid having too much oil?

or is that what is wanted, more oil capacity .... I guess I should read this thread backwards....

Re: spin on oil filter conversion - bluewing - 08-24-2010

I keep my oil level below the full mark, about 3/4 the way up between the two level marks on the dip stick. If I put the oil level at the full mark and leave the bike on the side over night I will get some smoking at start up from the left hand exhaust pipe. I think because it is a flat 4 some oil will leak past the rings and burn off when I start it.