GL1200 GOLDWINGS
GL 1200 long term owners - Printable Version

+- GL1200 GOLDWINGS (http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200)
+-- Forum: PEOPLE, PLACES and THINGS (http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Forum: NON TECHNICAL OPEN DISCUSSION (http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Thread: GL 1200 long term owners (/showthread.php?tid=6747)

Pages: 1 2

GL 1200 long term owners - bagelboy - 03-26-2010

I have only owned my beautiful 1200 for three years, got it with 52,000, miles, and it now has 72,000. I was wondering if anyone here actually bought theirs new from the dealer, or used with low miles and still has there 1200. Another words, how long have you owned it and how many miles have you put on? I am sure there is someone out there that bought their 1200 almost new from the dealer and still has it! If they do, that's about 25 years give or take!

Re: GL 1200 long term owners - SIR tricky - 03-26-2010

I bought an 84 Interstate new and traded it in 85 on a new Aspencade which I still have and it has about 230,000k

Replaced the speed sensor on the Aspy within the warranty period.

changed the IGN switch under warranty.

Replaced two alternators before going to the external alternator.

replaced the water pump bearings OK but seal gone

Changed both head gaskets.

Replaced the brake lines with stainless this winter, of course changed the brake fluid which I usually do every two years and change the coolant every two years.

Other than tires, brakes, and usual stuff it has been quite reliable.

Re: GL 1200 long term owners - WingMan71 - 03-26-2010

I bought my first Goldwing new from the dealer when I lived in Minneapolis. It was a dark blue 1984 Interstate.

My wife and I moved to Atlanta just after we got it, and we rode it for almost 12 years. I don't remember how many miles I put on it. Sold it to a police officer in Dothan, Alabama.

Got out of riding for some years after that. Got my current 1987 Aspencade from a retired Army helicopter pilot in Tuscon, AZ. Had it for about three years now. It's like new with about 83K on it.

Wish I could track down my old '84 and see how she's doing now!

Re: GL 1200 long term owners - admin - 03-26-2010

I bought my 84 Aspencade from its second owner back in 2001 with 85,000 k's showing on the clock. It now has 125,000 k's on the clock but I took out the original engine ( I beat the daylights out of that engine and it still runs) to freshen it up when I get a chance and I'm currently using my spare engine. The only breakdown I've had is when the stator died on the highway and a headgasket blew on the original engine, but in each case the bike got me home. The original engine has a new waterpump and I rebuilt the starter a few years ago. Extremely reliable machine and even if I won a lottery I'd still be driving this bike because it fits me perfect and it delivers everything I want from a motorcycle.

Re: GL 1200 long term owners - neoracer - 03-26-2010

admin Wrote:even if I won a lottery I'd still be driving this bike because it fits me perfect and it delivers everything I want from a motorcycle.

even though i have only have had my 87 since 2004 79K now 96K and my 86 SEI since last july i share vic's sentiments exactly,i may have others but they will all be 86-87's

do not need anything that the new ones have, of course reverse would be nice at times

Re: GL 1200 long term owners - admin - 03-26-2010

I can count on the fingers of one hand how many times I would have liked reverse but I almost always think about getting out before I get into a parking space so reverse would only be a luxury that I don't really need. Now if Honda wants to put something really useful on the new bikes then maybe they should be considering A/C on the new Wing to help out on those 100 degree days when you're stuck in traffic for what seems like forever. :mrgreen:

Re: GL 1200 long term owners - 85GL1200I - 03-27-2010

I bought my bike new in 1985 from Honda Village in Greensburg Pa for $5400 cash. Rode it off the lot. 25 years later it sits ready to ride at around 32K miles. In those 25 years it was in storage for a period of 10 years while I lived what I thought was my life. Won't make that mistake again. :d

Re: GL 1200 long term owners - wingandaprayer - 03-27-2010

We are 3rd owner - bought our '85 Aspy 2 seasons ago at 66,000 km (41,250 miles). It had sat in a dry shed for 3 years, with the fuel turned on. Once I got it home I did the carbs, changed the fluids, and started riding it. It had the stator replaced and hard wired. No other repair work. We have 88,000 km now (55,000 miles) I have just done brake and clutch line replacement, and timing belts and spark plugs.
I know an '85 Aspy - same owner since new - that had 305,000 km (190,600 miles) at the end of June of last year. We happened to meet in August on a ride back from BC and had a visit again. Being over 80 and "semi-retired" he said he had a pretty good summer of riding, having added something like another 15,000 km from end of June to end of August.
No major work to the bike, just brake pads as needed, tires, good maintenance. I asked him what the "secret of long Wing life" is - he said with a smile, "it's a Honda, ride it often and far, buy good gas, change oil often, don't leave your bike outside in the rain, and don't cobble crap to the factory wiring".

Re: GL 1200 long term owners - bluewing - 03-27-2010

This season four for me with my wing, I am the third owner. I got the wing with 90,000 Km on it and it has 130,000 Km on it now. I changed the final drive, U-joint, front tire, battery and timing belts. Other than that just regular maintenance. I would take it anywhere and love every minute of it.

Re: GL 1200 long term owners - Oldman - 03-27-2010

Bought my 84 new back in 85. Over the years I've had to replace the water pump once, fork seals a couple of times, rebuilt the carbs a few times, replaced the seat and it's foam pad once, lost the horn button, added an air horn, tried and got rid of just about every piece of shinny chrome item they made for them, plus brakes, oil, filters, MO, sea foam, tires, and a few other things that I just seem to remember at the moment. I've repainted it twice and might do it again this summer. It has about 116,000 miles on it now and I fully expect to double that before I get rid of it (as long as I can find a new set of PG).

Re: GL 1200 long term owners - Granpah - 03-27-2010

admin Wrote:Now if Honda wants to put something really useful on the new bikes then maybe they should be considering A/C on the new Wing to help out on those 100 degree days when you're stuck in traffic for what seems like forever. :mrgreen:

Why don't you simply carry an umbrella with you on those 100 degree days Vic ? :lol:

for example
[Image: 31bKxeWhXoL._AA260_.jpg] :lol: :lol:

[Image: Umbrella_Girls_Indy09.jpg]
[DUCATI even supplies GIRLS with their umbrellas to hold them for you !!!!

[Image: RizlanUmbrellaGirl.jpg]
and so does Suzuki

[Image: 196582727_9bf3b3fce6.jpg]

AND also Yamaha (which would nicely match YOUR bike, Vic.

Why can't Honda do at least THAT for us Wingers?

[Image: 3751193044_239dee8788.jpg]
They certainly provide umbrellas with their OTHER models !!!!!

Re: GL 1200 long term owners - admin - 03-27-2010

If only I could get my wife to agree to an option like that for my bike. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Re: GL 1200 long term owners - detdrbuzzard - 03-28-2010

got my '84 aspy back in '07 with 42,5xx miles. i'm the third owner and it now has only 49,xxx miles

Re: GL 1200 long term owners - wingandaprayer - 03-28-2010

bob NE In. Wrote:
85GL1200I Wrote:In those 25 years it was in storage for a period of 10 years while I lived what I thought was my life. Won't make that mistake again. :d

A 75 pound gold ring will do that to ya.... :YMTONGUE:

:lol:

Re: GL 1200 long term owners - B.Bolding - 03-28-2010

I rode my 86 Aspencade off the dealers lot in June 1988 with zero miles on the odometer, I now have around 30,000 mi., most of my riding is to work and back. Three years ago I took my only long ride to Montana and back, 4465 miles. Great ride and hope I can do somthing like that again. **==