GL1200 GOLDWINGS
Campbell`s electronics Charging system harness - Printable Version

+- GL1200 GOLDWINGS (http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200)
+-- Forum: TECH CENTER (http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Forum: CHARGING SYSTEM AND CONVERSION ALTERNATORS (http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Campbell`s electronics Charging system harness (/showthread.php?tid=6547)

Pages: 1 2 3

Campbell`s electronics Charging system harness - Guest - 02-03-2010

Hi Im new here. Got my first wing 2 weeks ago, a 1200 ltd with ab 50000 miles on it.Had 8 bikes before, and still have a fj 1200.
What I would like to know is if any of you have any experience with the Campbell Electronics charging system harnes.
Its a kit he sells,clayming it will cure many of the bad connection proplems on the gl.
Sorry for bad englich, am from Norway

Re: Campbell`s electronics Charging system harness - Keener - 02-03-2010

Welcome from the west side of Canada, akus20. As for the harness, I think you'll find there are as many members who support it as there are those who don't see any benefit. Anyway, I'm sure more knowledgeable members will be along shortly to discuss the technical aspects.

Re: Campbell`s electronics Charging system harness - Roleketu - 02-03-2010

Last year when I purchased my 86 Wing, I researched the stator issue and found Campbells. However, I eventually purchased and installed the "GL1200 Stator / Coil Harness" from The Electrical Connection. Go to that link and click on the page where there is a rebuttal about his product. He used the original Campbell design and vastly improved it.

Re: Campbell`s electronics Charging system harness - Guest - 02-03-2010

Roleketu Wrote:Last year when I purchased my 86 Wing, I researched the stator issue and found Campbells. However, I eventually purchased and installed the "GL1200 Stator / Coil Harness" from The Electrical Connection. Go to that link and click on the page where there is a rebuttal about his product. He used the original Campbell design and vastly improved it.

Would I be correct in saying that since you and I installed the external alternator, the only important function of the aftermarket wiring kits for us who may have one or the other versions of this harness would be the "relay for the Coils :-\ :-\ Now that we're disconnecting the onboard stator (3 yellow wires) from the regulator we're eliminating the need for the harness with the exception of the relay that turns off power to the ignition coils up front?? I have one of those redundant harnesses which may or may not be a version of the Campbell's or Ray's or whatever installed on my 1200I when I bought it. For the life of me, I couldn't understand this, but after studying the schematics "tricky" sent me, It was clear to me it wasn't done properly, and now that you've referred me to "The Electrical Connection" I see that the rely for the coils sounds like a smart idea since my aftermarket kit doesn't contain one! I don't think I need the entire harness since converting to the external alternator, but they do have a valid point about turning off power to the coils when the bike is sitting. I'm pretty sure my coils are wired direct per the "photocopied" instructions referred too in the rebuttal.

SO....I'm looking at the relays offered by "Hella" and I think I'm going to order one and give it a try. Thanks Roleketu for again, steering me in the right direction... ^Smile^ ^Smile^ ^Smile^

I'm glad you got your "poorboy" kit before I did... :d :d :d :d :d

You can get a 12 volt DC coil, dual pole relay from Radio Shack for this purpose. Get one that has a contact rating of at least 10 amps to give you the best life over the long run and because you want to maximize current flow through the coils into the electronic ignition module.

Have the positive lead from each coil connceted to the normally open (NO) contact of the relay. The provide positive 12VDC to the source connector of the relay. The relay coil is energised from power coming from the key switch on the bike. The output side of the relay coil is connected to frame ground.

When the key is turned on, the relay coil is now energized, which magnetically closes the relay NO contacts, which provide power to the coils. The ignition module does the rest!

Great info owaace! Thanks. I'll stop at Radio Shack tomorrow.

Re: Campbell`s electronics Charging system harness - unionjack - 02-03-2010

Get the harness from Electrical Connections instead, it is much better than the one from Campbell who does not use the relay for the coils, and hjis wiring is too thin for the load.

Also when you eventually do the alternator conversion half of this harness will still be used on your coils.

http://www.electricalconnection.com/wire-harnesses/hrns_gl1200_charge.htm

#-O

Re: Campbell`s electronics Charging system harness - roscoepc - 02-03-2010

akus20 Wrote:Hi Im new here. Got my first wing 2 weeks ago, a 1200 ltd with ab 50000 miles on it.Had 8 bikes before, and still have a fj 1200.
What I would like to know is if any of you have any experience with the Campbell Electronics charging system harnes.
Its a kit he sells,clayming it will cure many of the bad connection proplems on the gl.
Sorry for bad englich, am from Norway

Welcome to the Site!! Although I've researched both harnesses I'll refrain from commenting on them because I've had no direct experiance with either other than a member over at Steve's site that was having major electrical problems with a bike he'd bought. Turned out he had one of those harnesses on the bike. I suggested he remove it and restore the harness to it's original condition to see what happened.. The problems disappeared and as far as I know he's still happy with the bike today!!

I do however have some experiance with a '85 Limited Edition! :mrgreen: The only problem area's I've came across are the 3 yellow wire stator connector, the 2 regulator connector's, and the 2, 30amp "dogbone" fuses. One of the dogbone fuses is located on the starter selinoid to the right of the battery and the other is located behind the starter selinoid.

I replaced both fuses with an inline spade type fuse using solder and heat shrink insulation tubing. The stator connector, I cut that out and soldered 3 new 12ga wires and ran them up to the regulator conector's, (there is 2!), which I cut out then soldered and insulated all the wires.

I hope this helps!! 8)

Re: Campbell`s electronics Charging system harness - Guest - 02-08-2010

In response to the discussion about aftermarket wire harnesses and subsequent installation of an external alternator, I decided to do some further checking of my current wiring situation. It was clear that the aftermarket harness installed on my 1200I did in fact keep power to the coils constantly, and is wired directly to the battery. Not any more :!: I installed a "Radio Shack" 12V 30 AMP four post automotive relay which only provides power to the coils when the ignition key is ON. I installed the relay where the regulator(which I no longer need) use to be.

[Image: pic.php?mode=large&pic_id=64]

The Items I used:
[Image: pic.php?mode=large&pic_id=61]

[Image: pic.php?mode=large&pic_id=63]

[Image: pic.php?mode=large&pic_id=66]
Wiring chart
Thanks to all of you who engaged in this discussion previously.
I would suggest anyone looking to do this wait till the moderators review and let me know I didn't mess up... :- :-
It seems to work for me..

84Wing_New_York Wrote:In response to the discussion about aftermarket wire harnesses and subsequent installation of an external alternator, I decided to do some further checking of my current wiring situation. It was clear that the aftermarket harness installed on my 1200I did in fact keep power to the coils constantly, and is wired directly to the battery. Not any more :!: I installed a "Radio Shack" 12V 30 AMP four post automotive relay which only provides power to the coils when the ignition key is ON. I installed the relay where the regulator(which I no longer need) use to be.

I would suggest anyone looking to do this wait till the moderators review and let me know I didn't mess up... :- :-
It seems to work for me..
It looks correct to me but I'm no expert. :oops:
The only problem I see is with your image tags, each /img] needs a [ in front of it. :lol:

Edit: I hope you also put the fuse between the battery and your relay.

Edit2: To get rid of the duplicate pictures.

Yes, It took me a couple minutes to get it all correct B-( B-( B-( B-(

5 AMP in-line fuse behind the battery..

Re: Campbell`s electronics Charging system harness - edbikerii - 02-08-2010

OK, so I don't have any experience with either the Campbell's or EC harnesses.

While it would seem to make sense that the relay on the coils might prevent the battery from discharging through the coils while the bike is shut down, I'm just not buying that using Campbell's harness actually results in a bike discharging rapidly through the coils. The coils consume somewhat over 8amps, so the battery would be completely dead within a couple hours, yet that is clearly not the case with the Campbell's harness.

There must be some other factor that prevents this. This is not being considered here or in EC's marketing materials, nor does Campbell make a clear enough point of it on his website.

The only conclusion I can figure from examination of the wiring diagram is that the coils are triggered by a switched ground through the Ignition Control Module, such that when the bike is turned off, there is no complete circuit through which the battery gets drained rapidly. In other words, I don't think there is any need for a relay to power the coils with the ignition.

Anybody have the Campbell's harness installed and have rapid discharge problems?

Absolutely right. The control unit closes the gate through a transistor to saturate the coils based on the revoltion sensor inputs. (pulse generators). With the ignition off, or no revolution detected, the coils won't saturate and therefore are not consuming any current.
It's just not a smart idea to have battery voltage to any device that doesn't require it. Coils don't.
Of course, as far as I'm concerned, 12volts to the coils through the aftermarket harness or a relay is just a "feel good" mod. Confusedhock:

Re: Campbell`s electronics Charging system harness - edbikerii - 02-09-2010

Well, Campbell claims that there is so much voltage loss through resistance in the stock harness that the coils only get about 9V rather than the full 12V, so his direct wiring in his harness brings that voltage back up to 12V. The effect of using a relay is the same.

I don't know whether these claims are true, as I've never measured the voltage at the coils. Also, my bike runs just fine as she is, so I'm not going to mess with either of these mods.

I have removed the connector on the three yellow stator wires and hard-wired them, as the connector was already quite brown and brittle. I also pulled apart the regulator connector, connected and disconnected it a few times to clean up the connections, filled it up with dielectric grease, and put it back together. My charging is quite good now (I've measured it to be within specs), but my headlight still dims when I put on the brakes. I'm thinking that I'll replace the tail-lights with nice 3W or 5W LEDs and then I should be good to go for the next 25 years.

Re: Campbell`s electronics Charging system harness - admin - 02-09-2010

I would not trust anything Campbell say's. I have had confrontations with this character and he has proven himself to be very unreliable.