GL1200 GOLDWINGS
Radio works through headset but not speakers, any ideas? - Printable Version

+- GL1200 GOLDWINGS (http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200)
+-- Forum: TECH CENTER (http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Forum: RADIO, CB, SOUND SYSTEM (http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: Radio works through headset but not speakers, any ideas? (/showthread.php?tid=3259)

Pages: 1 2

Radio works through headset but not speakers, any ideas? - Guest - 08-13-2008

I don't have the mute button on nor do I have the headset button pushed in but I can't hear the radio through the speakers. It works fine when its hooked up through the head set. I even changed out the speakers and still no go. Any one have any ideas? :?

Re: Radio works through headset but not speakers, any ideas? - roscoepc - 08-13-2008

If you've got the Type III Panasonic radio try punching the third button from the left side. It's labeled "PUSH SP/HS".

Hopefully that'll do the trick.

Re: Radio works through headset but not speakers, any ideas? - Guest - 08-14-2008

I did. That didn't help. Thanks.

Re: Radio works through headset but not speakers, any ideas? - SIR tricky - 08-14-2008

It could be the power amp, the headsets are not powered through that. It could be the audio volume control.

You can bypass the AVC and that can eliminate that.

It could be as simple as poor wiring connections. Not that simple when looking at the rats nest of wiring under the left pocket.

Re: Radio works through headset but not speakers, any ideas? - Guest - 08-14-2008

So how do I bypass the AVC? This is my first bike and I'm not to mechanically inclined when it comesto electronics nor is my husband. :lol:

Re: Radio works through headset but not speakers, any ideas? - SIR tricky - 08-14-2008

This diagram is without CB.

Disconnect the Blue 5 pin DIN from the radio to the AVC
Disconect the Red 5 pin DIN from the AVC to the AMP

Then Connect the male blue 5 pin from the radio to the red femal 5 pin that goes to the power amp.

If the radio works it could be your avc isnt functioning.

If radio still not working you will need to test the power amp.
You could make sure that there is power going to the power amp through the black 2 pin connector

OK. I have been told it is my amp. How do I get to the amp. I looked at the diagram without a CB. I have a CB. What do I need to do?

lovemytrike Wrote:OK. I have been told it is my amp. How do I get to the amp. I looked at the diagram without a CB. I have a CB. What do I need to do?

Here is the diagram you need then.

I would do the same thing with the AVC although now another component can come into play, it is called the multichanger box

Remove the left hand pocket. On the inner wall there is a box bolted on, it is the power amp.

You may need to remove the CB and move it forward to get at the power amp.

If you compare the diagrams you will now see the the 5pin RED connector goes to the multichanger box and from the multichanger box another red 5 pin. take the male from the AVC and connect to the female on the power amp.

Is the CB functioning correctly? Do you get any sound from the speakers when you receive a transmission?

The multichanger box is further in front of the power amp.

Download the manual from here it might give you more insight to how the system works.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://goldwing.soylentgeek.com/Honda%20GL1200%2083%20Audio%20Installation%20Manual.pdf">http://goldwing.soylentgeek.com/Honda%2 ... Manual.pdf</a><!-- m -->

When your pulling cables apart make sure the their ID colours are on it will save you some head aches later.

If your headsets are functioning OK with the CB (if you use the headsets for CB) then probably the multichanger is OK

Also Remove the radio from the fairing and carefully close up the contacts after a lot of bouncing they can become loose.

If I disconnected the CB, would it hurt? Could the CB have anything to do with it?

Very unlikely
I can give you a quick run down on how it works.

On a Basic system The radio signal is controlled by the AVC and then sent on to the power amp then to the speakers.

There is a lead that can supply the sound to a single headset, You could in fact do without power amp in this situation

When the intercom is introduced a splitter is added onto this lead and the signal sent to front and rear headset, the radio unit providing the voice activating system.

When the CB is introduced, only one of the headset leads is used and this is then routed to a multichanger which provides the muting when receiving or sending the CB. The headset signal is still separate from the signal that goes to the power amp.

If the headset sound is muting when you get CB signal through the headset I would say that the multichanger box MIGHT be OK. But remember the two signals are controlled by two different relays in the multichanger

This is why I suggested removing the AVC from the equation, it controlling the signal from the radio to the amp.

If it still isnt working after that then yes it could be the power amp. If the sound works when you connect the radio directly to the power amp you then know your power amp is OK. If you then connect the AVC to the amp (without the multichanger) and it works then the culprit is the multichanger.

It is a 25 year old bike it could be corrosion in the connectors, check them If your inclined you can visit EBAY and throw all kinds of money at it.

Well, I've tried it all. There were two wires with red tape. I think I found the wire that came of the AVC, there was no blue tape on it. I assume it had probably came off. From what I could tell the two red ones were, one from the amp and one from the tone control. There is such a rat's nest of wires in there, it's hard to tell what goes to what. I think I am going to just have a new system put in. A man that goes to our church has a cb and radio shop. I don't think the cb works anyway. I turn it on and all the display shows is a back 6 and an 8. I know the radio works because I took it out and put it in another bike and works. I guess a new system can be put in can't it.

Re: Radio works through headset but not speakers, any ideas? - SIR tricky - 08-15-2008

If your not up to the challenge of fixing the old one, I have often wondered what I would do if my CB decided to quit. I would possibly remove every thing except the original setup and install something like you see in the picture. It is the J&M JMCB-2003 you can find it at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=24">http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=24</a><!-- m --> It wont be cheap and requires changing your headsets.

Re: Radio works through headset but not speakers, any ideas? - Satch - 08-18-2008

This is the same problem I have. My headsets work fine but if I use speakers they make terrible noise. But I don't believe my volume control is working.

Re: Radio works through headset but not speakers, any ideas? - Guest - 08-19-2008

I replaced my power amp and it works great now. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Re: Radio works through headset but not speakers, any ideas? - Satch - 08-19-2008

Did your speakers make a lot of noise when you tried your radio speakers?