GL1200 GOLDWINGS
Looking for part - Printable Version

+- GL1200 GOLDWINGS (http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200)
+-- Forum: TECH CENTER (http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Forum: LIGHTING AND ELECTRICAL (http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Looking for part (/showthread.php?tid=302)

Pages: 1 2

Looking for part - Guest - 02-20-2007

If anyone has a speed sensor for an 84 Aspy please let me know. I found one on e-bay but you know how that goes. I've bought bad parts before from there. I'll do some searching of the sites we have listed for used parts but if anyone has an extra please send me a PM or post up here. Thanks, Jerry...

- Fatwing Chris - 02-20-2007

Check in the parts locater section under Wing parts in Ont.
Larry Scott in Milton,Ont. is very good and I'm sure he would ship to you.Was very reasonable price wise when I last bought from him.

- Guest - 02-20-2007

Fatwing Chris, I found his e-mail address and wrote to him asking if he could help. I'll see what happens. I did find one a whitey's for 85.00. I'd like to get a lower price for a used part. I still have some tests to do before I go out and spend this money on the bike. I just bought the Windshield and that broke me!!! But its nice!!!

- Guest - 02-21-2007

I could use some advice here. I contacted Larry Scott in Milton,Ont. He says he has plenty of speed sensors from an 83 but the connector end is different. The one off of the 84 can be spiced onto it. Does this sound right? Was there an 83 aspencade that had a digital dash? I'd be willing to go this route if it will work. I'm trying to get a lower price on this and he is ready to work with me but I don't know anything about the 83's.

Does anyone have an opinion on this? will it work? and what would be a good and fair price? As I stated above, I can get the right one for $85.00 used.

- Guest - 02-21-2007

1983 GL1100A had a digital dash.

- Guest - 02-22-2007

Thanks
quakeholio.
any one know what a fair price would be for this part?

- Guest - 02-22-2007

I asume you are talking about the speed pickup on the wheel right? There might be an issue that I didn't think of last night (brain isn't running at the full clock speed at midnight.) The 11's use a 19" wheel in the front, and the 12's use a 16". I've been told (at least with the mechanical) that that little gem tells the guage what speed it is at. The unit in the speedometer just reads a generic 4-1 or something like that.

I hope I'm wrong on this for your sake. I've priced to many parts on the goldwing to not know.

- admin - 02-22-2007

Why don't you ask Larry to send you some pictures of what he's talking then post the pics here.

- SIR tricky - 02-22-2007

It seems the 84 and 85 part numbers a different.

A new one at Ron Ayers is $115.16 US$

Give Sturgess in Hamilton a call and ask what a new one would cost or even a Honda dealer in your area, it might surprise you.

Part No 37700-MG9-871 for 84 Aspy

- Guest - 02-22-2007

I
ll check on the price of the item tomorrow. My local shop just closed. I will ask Larry about the differents in wheel size to see what he has to say and I'll post it up when I get an answer. Thanks for all your help on this. I also found on on eBay and the guy says that if the part is DOA he will refund my money. I guess all I can do is hope that the part is good and that it goes for a low price. Sad

- Guest - 02-23-2007

This is what I wrote to Larry:

I didn't think of cutting the electrical connector off and using one from a different year bike. A friend of mine has one off of an 85 aspencade. I guess I could do that if you say it will work. That is what your saying isn't it? The plug on the end of the wire?

BTW, If I was to use one from an 83 wouldn't the diameter of the wheel make a difference? I've heard that the 83 had a much larger wheel that the 84. Or is it just some kind of AC generator of sorts, and sends a signal to the dash that counts the eight pulses per 360 degree revolution and changes it to the number on the dash? I'm flying blind here. Electrical isn't one of my strong points but I've managed to get by somehow. Please let me know how it works and if my idea is a good one and if I'm understanding what your telling me correctly.

This is his reply:

Yes that is exactly what I meant. The gear in the wheel takes care or the wheel size. Larry

So if any of you all have this problem in the future we all now know how to fix it with the parts we can find even if there not completely correct. I'm going to pull the front tire off again and take a look at both gears in the wheel a little closer. I'm hoping that I missed something. If that isn't it then I'll replace the sensor with the one from my buddy bike. An 85 aspy and cut the electrical connector of and replace it with the connector from my old sensor.

- SIR tricky - 02-24-2007

Let me get this straight.
You have an 84 Aspy?
You are taking a speed sensor from an 85 and changing the plug from an 84?
Why?

They are the same.

Unless I have gotten lost somewhere in the thread.

- Guest - 02-24-2007

The part numbers from the 84 and the 85 sensors are not the same I was told. I was also told to cut the connector off of the 85 sensor and splice the 84 connector onto it and it should work. I don't have them both in my hands yet so I've just been going off of what people are telling me. If you know better please let me know.

- SIR tricky - 02-24-2007

Yes the part numbers are different but the plug is the same. what the difference is I don't know.

But you were talking about using a part of and 83 now that could be different.

- Guest - 02-24-2007

Thanks for straightening me out on that Tricky. Now I'm just hoping that even though its a different part number it still works. I getting one from an 85 from a friend as soon as he finds it. He used to have a 85 and now has an 1800 but he kept a lot of extra parts on hand when he had the 85. Now that I know the connector is the same I can give it a try I guess. I don't know when I'll be able to do this because of the weather and my time but I'll keep you all posted on how it goes. Thanks for your help.