GL1200 GOLDWINGS
I Still complain about my lighting =( - Printable Version

+- GL1200 GOLDWINGS (http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200)
+-- Forum: TECH CENTER (http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Forum: LIGHTING AND ELECTRICAL (http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: I Still complain about my lighting =( (/showthread.php?tid=1839)

Pages: 1 2

I Still complain about my lighting =( - William_86 - 12-26-2007

Hello folks, merry xmas.

I Still complain about my head light, at nights i cant see as i used on my old bike, dont know whats wrong, i've adjusted the AIM is there any way that the lens(glass?) of the headlight is installed wrong? i mean upside down? i made this example on photoshop of how my light beam looks like on the ground on a highway.

Low beam:
[Image: lowbeamlf4.jpg]

High Beam:
[Image: highbeampb7.jpg]

as you can see... the low beam its rly short, and cant see if theres a hole or something ahead.. the low beam helps me to see far ahead.. but i can see what i could see with the low beam =(

the bulb is really bright, but seems like the lens doesn't spread the light as i believe it should :?: my friends bikes have rly long low beam lights, and the high beam is way better! =( i when i ride at night i have to ride next to any of my friends to use their light to see the road :cry:

i dont feel safe riding like this by myself

friends light on low beam. most of them look like this. im talking about a couple of 1100cc v-star bikes, an oldie bmw r65 1981 and a few chinese bikes, well even my old chinese bike light looks like that ;P
[Image: friendslightsi5.jpg]

- admin - 12-26-2007

I would try another bulb, sometimes the bulb can be built wrong. If you get the same thing with a replacement bulb then you can feel confident that the reflector is defective.

- William_86 - 12-26-2007

i made a post a month ago about the bulb.. i used like 3 diferent bulbs and i had the same light also, swiched my dad's bulb and on his head lamp the light was fine. =\

- admin - 12-26-2007

There's your answer, you need to find a better reflector.

I started this post mainly because someone is offering me a xenon kit for h4 bulbs, i wonder it will realy help me or not =( the low beam goes with xenon, and the high beam will use halogen

[Image: h4hilolowxenonfarhalogejq9.jpg]

they have after market reflectors out there??

- Tropicalsuns - 12-26-2007

I have not yet driven in the dark of the desert since I installed my lights but I certainly can say with confidence that you probably could see my driving lights on the rising moon..... add some and you wont be sorry.

here are a few pics of my headlight lens, is there any possibility that it could be installed upside down? can someone check, when i was changing my bulbs i noticed a few tabs and some kind of locks that can be removed to remove the glass

[Image: img1470yv7.jpg]
[Image: img1473jk8.jpg]
[Image: img1471qi1.jpg]

i just noticed that this letters are in the right way so i think there is no way this thing is upside down. it says MOTORCYCLE HALOGEN on the left side and the right side says: 4371 or A371 STANLEY

[Image: lenskj8.jpg]

- admin - 12-26-2007

The lens looks correct but someone may have bent the metal reflector on the inside causing it to be out of focus.

- Dave-85-LTD - 12-26-2007

I am sure your lens is right because you can see the word TOP in the top center of the lens.

I would agree with Vic, that your reflector must not be shaped correctly, or that your bulb is not sitting in the proper position in relation to the reflector.

Good luck

- William_86 - 12-29-2007

Sup folks, i just ordered my kit of Xenon HID , it will be for the low beam only, but im sure it will be way better light than now, and the high beam will be halogen as the pic i posted above. i hope the kit arrives monday Smile when i install this kit i will make sorta of a guide for the folks arround here Smile also will clean the reflector to get better results and check that everything arround there is in good shape ;p ah im also thinking about installing strobe lights on the marker lights next to the headlamp Tongue

- admin - 12-29-2007

Let us know how it works outs out.

- William_86 - 12-30-2007

im using xenon o.o and it is available as single beam and hi/low with a solenoid or some kind of mechanic instrument on the back on the bulb that moves the inside of the bulb so u have low and high beam which is a bit big for installing into the small space behind the headlamp,and the one im using, it has xenon for low beam and halogen for high beam. i was told that xenon is the best light you can get so far

- admin - 01-02-2008

As far as I know xenon is the best in lighting but there is also bi-xenon which gives you zenon for low and hi beam as far as I understand.

- William_86 - 01-02-2008

i already got xenon, i decided not to install bi-xenon because the back of the bulb is too big and i did not wanted to have to modify the inside of the fairing

- admin - 01-02-2008

Looks like you might have to install a light bar and add some lights externally like I did. They made a big difference on my bike.