GL1200 GOLDWINGS
motorcycle jack/lift - Printable Version

+- GL1200 GOLDWINGS (http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200)
+-- Forum: TECH CENTER (http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Forum: EXPERTS CORNER (http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: motorcycle jack/lift (/showthread.php?tid=10491)

Pages: 1 2

motorcycle jack/lift - mtnsurgtech - 04-18-2014

Im searching for a motocycle lift for my 1985 gl1200 aspy. I can't afford an actual lift so Im looking at jacks. I know the J & P is probably the best out there but I just can't justify the price for as often as I would use it. In my research I have found that Torin's have HORRIBLE customer service if you need it. When I look at reviews on anything I don't look at the number of bad reviews but I look at if they are all complaining about the same thing. It seems that a lot of bottle jacks fail on the hydraulic models. Any thoughts on a good jack that won't break the bank? If this is in the wrong forum would a moderator move it to a better one. Thanks Doc

RE: motorcycle jack/lift - admin - 04-19-2014

I've been using one like this: http://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle-jack-lift/p/BW-JACK/ for years and have never had a problem, but, once a bike is up on this jack I always use nylon ratchet straps to cinch it down tightly to the jack and I use small safety stands front and rear to keep it from tipping. Works great for me and I got mine at Costco for $69. on sale. I also like it because I can drag my bike around the garage when the wheels are off the bike and I can place my bike on this jack, strapped on, and slide it tight to the garage wall for winter storage and keep the bike's tire's off the ground all winter. Great jack for a bike, fits many different bikes and doesn't take up a lot of space in my small garage.

RE: motorcycle jack/lift - old gold - 04-20-2014

Harbor Freight sells a motorcycle jack for under $100 that works pretty good.

RE: motorcycle jack/lift - cwalters2002 - 04-21-2014

I second the Harbor Freight Jack. I have been using it for a year now with various types of cycles and it has served me well!

RE: motorcycle jack/lift - rogerb - 04-21-2014

I third Harbor Freight's jack. And to me they ALL look alike except the prices. Keep your eye on Harbor Freight's ads and you may catch one on sale for $69

RE: motorcycle jack/lift - Roleketu - 04-23-2014

The Black Widow and Harbor Freight jack look like they were built by the same as my Craftsman jack. Same as Vic, I use ratcheting straps hooking from the engine guard over the bike to the jack frame.

RE: motorcycle jack/lift - rogerb - 04-24-2014

Harbor Freight has one on sale now !

RE: motorcycle jack/lift - pstelter - 01-05-2015

So this post has answered one question...are the lifts at Harbor Freight any good?

Next question...would a lift help with an oil change? When the bike is on the center stand for changing oil, the stand interferes with the placement of the oil pan. Would the use of a lift alleviate this problem? Does it help for changing coolant?

- Pete

RE: motorcycle jack/lift - Poorboy - 01-05-2015

(01-05-2015, 08:43 PM)pstelter Wrote: So this post has answered one question...are the lifts at Harbor Freight any good?

Next question...would a lift help with an oil change? When the bike is on the center stand for changing oil, the stand interferes with the placement of the oil pan. Would the use of a lift alleviate this problem? Does it help for changing coolant?

- Pete

I have a Harbor Freight lift & it works very well. Mine is air over hydraulic which means I can hook it up to an air hose & squeese the trigger to raise the lift or pump it by foot. It makes most any job easier. When I change oil even on the lift I put the bike on the center stand. Poorboy

RE: motorcycle jack/lift - pstelter - 01-09-2015

Maybe this is my unfamiliarity with the use of lifts...but how can you have the bike on the center stand and on the lift? Or does the lift prevent lowering the center stand once the bike is "lifted"?

- Pete

RE: motorcycle jack/lift - Poorboy - 01-09-2015

(01-09-2015, 08:52 AM)pstelter Wrote: Maybe this is my unfamiliarity with the use of lifts...but how can you have the bike on the center stand and on the lift? Or does the lift prevent lowering the center stand once the bike is "lifted"?

- Pete

The lifes I'm talking about is a table lift. It picks up the bike by the wheels. Poorboy

RE: motorcycle jack/lift - pstelter - 01-12-2015

Before I go ahead and purchase a frame lift, will it assist in routine maintenance (oil change, coolant, etc.)? And by "assist", I mean make the collecting of the old stuff easier. Thanks.

- Pete

RE: motorcycle jack/lift - bs175dths - 01-12-2015

just make sure the bike can't fall while it is up in the air.....

RE: motorcycle jack/lift - jcmaun - 01-14-2015

Well noticing that Harbor Freight has several model lists all for the same price. Any one better than the others?

RE: motorcycle jack/lift - bs175dths - 01-21-2015

you mentioned the center stand makes it difficult to place the oil catch pan and if the lift would make live any easier.......

I have a square oil catch pan with a spout on one end and I just rotate the pan to catch both the oil drain plug and the oil filter area.

Another oil catch pan is to use an old 5 quart oil jug, with one side cut out of it.
They fit better next to the center stand, they come with a cap and spout and can hold all the oil a Goldwing has to offer.
Cheaper than a lift!

Of course a lift has other uses as well.

my .02

-Ride On